Lunar Landscaped Egg??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ARose4Heaven, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I have one hen that lays very large eggs. The last 2 days they have been bizarre to see. What causes this?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] No advise. Sorry.

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I have the same problem with one of my BR hens. She lays extra large to jumbo eggs but they are very bumpy/rough looking! They are better now than they used to be so maybe the pullet info in the link posted above is correct. I also layed off of the calcium (a little) since all of my pullets were laying eggs with super hard shells. They will be a year old in March. I'd be interested in any other info anyone else has. Gritsar is right, the link above is awfully general. Does seem like they are just listing a bunch of possibilities.

5. fiddledeedee

fiddledeedee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2009
    Wow! That is one seriously wierd egg! Are they normal inside? I have heard of chickens occasionally laying eggs with serveral layers of shell - not sure what the cause is though.

6. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Mine don't have several layers, they are just bumpy, and yes, they are normal inside and delicious!
    ARose4Heaven are yours normal inside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by