Luna's First Day at Doggy Daycare

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Connorrm, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I'm nervous! She's 7 months old so she's still hyper excited by everything, but she knows her commands like off, down, sit, leave it, drop it, and no.

She's got some chips stacked against her b/c of her breed (won't get into that). However, she had a good initial test at 7 AM with the owner and he thinks she'll do fine. Luckily I'm only working a half day so I get to get her out early.

Anyone else use Doggy day care? I know it sounds so Bougie and Rich, but it's 12 dollars/day and I'm doing it Mon/Wed/Fri just to help her expend some of that puppy energy while I'm at work.

2. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Does she have a yard to run in at home?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I don't know anyone who uses doggy day care, but I think it sounds like it'll be good for her! Plus, I'm sure everybody there has to have their dogs vaccinated, so you don't have to worry about different diseases.....

Better than having your little puppy bored and sitting alone in a kennel all day....

I hope it works out nicely for you! I'll bet she gets to work off alot of puppy energy there...

Sharon

4. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Yeah they have to be vaccinated for everything Rabies, Parvo, Bordetella (Kennel Cough), Lyme, etc;

They have a large yard that they can go into as they please, through a doggy door. Today is her eval day. He said no news is good news...and so far I've heard nothing!

I really want to make sure she stays as social as possible, right now she loves everyone and everything!

5. mz.candiz

mz.candiz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmonton
    I think it really depends on the dog, and the daycare you choose. You have to make sure that the energy levels of the other dogs that are going match your dogs; and they have proper supervision.

Doggie daycare can be great in moderation, but I definitely wouldn't try to substitute it for walking. I have heard both good and bad stories. My mother had both of her dogs in doggie daycare for a period of time, and they both began to develop aggression issues towards other dogs.

However, I don't believe theirs was properly supervised and both of her dogs are very large. They learned they could bully other dogs around to get what they wanted, and got away with it.

By the time my mom caught on to what was happening she was unable to get her dogs into other doggie daycare programs because of their dominating behavior. Neither one of them had any problems with this before. And it took months of one-on-one training to curb the behavior.

As long as you have done your research on the daycare you are sending your dog to, and still make sure to walk/socialize it yourself everyday you should be able to avoid these problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by