Luna's First Day at Doggy Daycare

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Connorrm, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I'm nervous! She's 7 months old so she's still hyper excited by everything, but she knows her commands like off, down, sit, leave it, drop it, and no.

She's got some chips stacked against her b/c of her breed (won't get into that). However, she had a good initial test at 7 AM with the owner and he thinks she'll do fine. Luckily I'm only working a half day so I get to get her out early.

Anyone else use Doggy day care? I know it sounds so Bougie and Rich, but it's 12 dollars/day and I'm doing it Mon/Wed/Fri just to help her expend some of that puppy energy while I'm at work.

2. mz.candiz

mz.candiz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2011
    Edmonton
    I think it really depends on the dog, and the daycare you choose. You have to make sure that the energy levels of the other dogs that are going match your dogs; and they have proper supervision.

Doggie daycare can be great in moderation, but I definitely wouldn't try to substitute it for walking. I have heard both good and bad stories. My mother had both of her dogs in doggie daycare for a period of time, and they both began to develop aggression issues towards other dogs.

However, I don't believe theirs was properly supervised and both of her dogs are very large. They learned they could bully other dogs around to get what they wanted, and got away with it.

By the time my mom caught on to what was happening she was unable to get her dogs into other doggie daycare programs because of their dominating behavior. Neither one of them had any problems with this before. And it took months of one-on-one training to curb the behavior.

As long as you have done your research on the daycare you are sending your dog to, and still make sure to walk/socialize it yourself everyday you should be able to avoid these problems.

3. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    The right daycare can be a wonderful thing, the wrong one can be a disaster.

I second what Candiz says. Make sure there is knowledgeable supervision, and ask if the staff has any training on dog behavior and body language, and how they break up fights or deal with other issues. See if they separate puppies or small dogs from the big, boisterous ones. Ask if they give or encourage periodic breaks. Dogs need to learn to settle as well as expend energy.

Another option is to see if your training facility has a puppy playgroup, or is willing to organize one. That way you get the benefits of peer play and interaction, but with someone helping keep things under control. I also find dogs of the same breed really understand each other's play style much better, so if you know of a breed club or group in your area, your girl can play with others of her breed. [​IMG]

4. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    Forgot to mention, there were pits and pit mixes at one of the daycares I took my dogs to, and as long as there are people who understand the breed, it is certainly doable! The lady who managed the place has pit bulls and one of her intact males is so sweet he is used as the neutral dog at CGC tests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by