Lunch hour

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sheila3935, Aug 20, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I had a fiasco today at lunch. I had to work the evening shift today, so at lunch thought I would come home. After I ate I went to check on the chickens. We have one coop that we call the baby coop where we keep chicks that are too small to go out with the bigger birds. I went to check on the babies, they we all in their run, but one. One of my naked neck babies was missing. I looked in the window of the coop. Could'nt see her so I open the door and there she was stuck inbetween a tote and the cabinet on her back. I got her out and she took off running kinda wobbly. so I got her to drink, not sure how long she had been that way. And after a few minutes she was running around back to her normal self. Then my daughter said one of the other babies was bleeding. Princess had been pecked on by one or some of the others and her neck was all bloody. We took her inside wiped off the blood and found that alot of her neck feathers had been pecked off. So after a cleaning and neosporin rubbed on we went to get the hospital cage for her in the garage. Now understand I have an hour for lunch and time is rapidly running out. I got her in the cage and told my daughter to get the spare waterer and fill it up. Next thing I hear is her yelling one of our RIR is missing. Now Im thinking this cant be happening I need to get back to work. In our haste to get the baby taken care of we left the garage open so Big Red decided she was going to take a stroll. Found her out front by the driveway. By now I am late. I think next time Ill stay at work for lunch [​IMG]

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Aren't you kinda glad that you did come home to save those chicks? [​IMG]
    Being a little late is expected now and then especially if you're saving lives [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    Yeah.. sounds safer at work..

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    yeah I was glad I came home. Just a little frazzled. Man I just couldnt believe all that happened in an hours time. I kinda thought what did I do bad that brought that on. [​IMG] No really Im glad I was there. Dont know if my daughter would have been able to handle it by herself and would have probably called me at work freaking out then she would have had me worried.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by