1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lung problems *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heatherlaw, Jan 28, 2016.

1. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    I got freedom ranger broilers this year as an experiment to see if I liked them. I butchered 3 at 13 weeks and had noticed one seemed to breath loudly and have a bit of trouble, but when I butchered his lungs looked great so I didn't worry. I just butchered another at 16 weeks and she was having the same breathing issue. Her lungs looked scary. They had what looked like blood clots all through them and they were pale in color. I've included a picture. Any idea what this is? She was sounding kind of wheezy when she breathed.
    [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    little slow to answer but incase you didn't get an answer it sorta looks like a bunch of pulmonary embolisms.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Strange, it may correlate with the broiler's obesity--causing excessive plaque and clotting.

4. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    There was a lot of fat on this bird. I just don't really know what caused the lung issue. The only other bird still around that's shown symptoms is wheezing with each breath now. She sounds horrible. I plan to process her this weekend and I'll post a pic when I do. So far none of my egg layers are having any issues. They all sound fine even up close and all but one have started laying. My only guess is that they got some sort of fungal thing when their pen fell down and the rain soaked everything and it was a couple days before I could do anything about it

5. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    layers are going to be healthier than ranger even just because the rangers are only meant to have a short lifespan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by