1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lung problems *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heatherlaw, Jan 28, 2016.

1. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    I got freedom ranger broilers this year as an experiment to see if I liked them. I butchered 3 at 13 weeks and had noticed one seemed to breath loudly and have a bit of trouble, but when I butchered his lungs looked great so I didn't worry. I just butchered another at 16 weeks and she was having the same breathing issue. Her lungs looked scary. They had what looked like blood clots all through them and they were pale in color. I've included a picture. Any idea what this is? She was sounding kind of wheezy when she breathed.
    [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Fungal infection maybe?

Honestly, I have no idea. I've never encountered anything like that when I've butchered. If nothing else, this response will bump you back to the top, hopefully someone who's seen this before will respond :)

3. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Thanks for trying anyway. I seriously have no idea what's wrong and I know lung diseases can be pretty serious and contagious in chickens so I'm concerned about the rest of my flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by