Lupins and chickens.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kgiffin, Oct 16, 2013.

1. kgiffin

kgiffin New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    Southwestern Alberta
    We will be getting chickens in the spring and will have a 30ft x 20ft enclosed area for them but would also like to free range them on our property. My concern is that we have wild lupins growing everywhere and I believe they are somewhat toxic. Does anyone have experience with chickens and lupins??

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I don't have lupins here, but my chickens forage daily and avoid eating plants that are known to be bad for them. I read an article about the seeds, but there was no mention of any toxicity of the plant itself.

Chris

3. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi . There are three diff. toxic weeds and tree or bush berries that grow in my yard and I must keep them for the cks. to hide under when the hawks are prevalent this winter. They instinctively know what not to eat it seems because they don't touch them!

4. kgiffin

kgiffin New Egg

Jul 14, 2013
    Southwestern Alberta
    Thanks guys! That's good to know. The only reason I know that lupin seeds are toxic is because my son ate one so I had to do some research:) I imagine that most wild animal do know what is good for them and what isn't but I had to ask because we have a crazy amount of wild lupins here.
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by