Lurker become bona-fide participant

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DDominique, Nov 17, 2015.

1. DDominique

DDominique Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello! I am Dominique and I've been poking around without posting for some months. I acquired my first mini-flock some months ago, all Plymouth Rocks. I love them. They were raised in the house with us so they're very sociable. We wanted all laying hens but a male snuck into out order. I'm okay with that... except... my landlord's dog killed one of my pullets. The landlord put three new chickens into my coop to try and make up for it, and one is a cockerel, I'm pretty sure. Another may be male. I don't have the property, coops or room for extra roos. I posted a new thread in another board asking what the opinions of seasoned chicken people are. :)

Thanks and I love this site. I appreciate your feedback. Xo

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Roosters! The biggest problem we have as hatchers, too many boys. You can always sell them on a site in your area. People will take them for their own flock, or, raise them for the stew pot. More often than not, you see them posted for...free.

1 person likes this.
  3. AlHawk

AlHawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2015
    Melbourne Florida
    Welcome to the farm. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's a real shame if you do have boys. I see you have posted in the what breed gender section. I'm sure members there will be able to help you ID your suspect ones.
    Fingers crossed you don't have as many as you think.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  5. DDominique

Nov 17, 2015
    Virginia
    Sorry about replying stupidly. Getting used to thus site on my cell phone.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Dominique. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) No need to apologize; a lot of us have issues, including me, when trying to post here using our cell phones. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  7. DDominique

Nov 17, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks so sincerely for the really nice welcome!

As suspected, it seems two of the three new chickens are male. I already have an established rooster and a very small flock so unfortunately I will be returning these politely to the landlord. I will keep the pullet. She was interesting looking to me and I wanted to know what she is... it's looking like maybe a Rhode Island Red and Easter Egger mix? There may be more than that in her; she's red and black and iridescent and essentially combless. My other chickens were raised under-foot and are very loving and sociable. Is it too late to build a bond with this pullet, you think?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Never too late. I know folks that get a hen that has not been friendly at all with the previous owner after a couple of yrs. When they got it, they just kept paying attention to her. Very friendly now.

9. DDominique

Nov 17, 2015
    Virginia
    Fabulous news! I was planning on spending special time with her over the coming weeks. I want her to trust me like the other chickens do. Thanks. ^_^

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by