Lurker Finally Registered

The O’Aces

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 1, 2018
Northern Virginia
Hello from northern Virginia! I’ve been keeping chickens and ducks for almost eight years. We’ve had as many as 30 and as few as our current 12. We’ve always had at least one resident roo. We keep a mixed flock and usually try a few from a different breed every time we restock (three generations so far). We’ve loved them all but our family favorites so far have been Polish, Partridge Rocks, Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, and Ameraucanas. We’ve also kept Muscovy ducks and raised a mixed flock of heritage duck breeds for my daughter’s neighbor. I relied on this forum a lot in my first couple years, along with a shelf full of poultry keeping books.
I also keep honeybees and cultivate pollinator gardens for them and the native pollinators on our little, two acre farmette. I rear monarchs in the summer. I love all types of gardening but am passionate about native plant cultivation. We had a large vegetable garden but are downsizing to container gardening for our kitchen garden. We have a rescue horse, dogs, and cats. Our animals are very important to us and I love learning about how to be a better caretaker to them all. My two adult daughters just recently left my husband and me empty nesters. We’re both teachers so work keeps us busy, even in the summer as we take on extra work. Our home and garden is our sanctuary.

Last edited:
Howdy:welcome:frow Happy :yato have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC!:)
Glad you stopped animated-indian-and-redskin-image-0031.gif
And joined!!!

G'Day from down under The O'Aces :frowWelcome!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock or other critters, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Back
Top Bottom