Lutino and Gray Budgies...Males or Females?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by rodriguezpoultry, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Gray and Lutino are Males

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gray and Lutino are Females

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gray is Male

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Lutino is Male

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Gray is Female

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Lutino is Female

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My first parakeet had gotten this REALLY annoying habit of copying the baby chicks (chickens) "HELP ME" chirps. I'm talking, perfection.

I realized that she needed more companionship than I was able to give (working full-time along with the reunion of my horse! Whoop!). So, I got her a little buddy. He's several months younger, but adorable. They've been together for an hour and are already preening each other.

The little male (I'm assuming) is apparently asserting his dominance in the pecking order. I've noticed him on the higher perch more often than my Lutino. Is that a normal thing for a new bird?

I'm also "assuming" that the Lutino is female, although it is very difficult to determine sometimes, especially seeing as how she was able to mimic the chick noises so easily and perfectly.

If anyone can weigh in on this?

Supposed male:
    [​IMG]

Lutino:
    [​IMG]

Together:
    [​IMG]

Also, if you can tell me any info regarding either color/mutations, please let me know! I am very interested in the gray color...it's just kind of unusual. The Lutino is simply beautiful in itself.

2. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    They are both male ..their Ceres are blueish color in males and almost a slateish brownish in females

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    That's what I had thought, but the Lutino gene can cause the cere to be a bluish color in females also.

4. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    From what I know from my parakeets through the years ,blue is male ,brown female/breeding readiness
    Pink and Blue: The color of the cere (the area containing the nostrils) differs between the sexes; blue in males, pink (non-breeding) or brownish (breeding) in females.
    hope this helps [​IMG]
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4706325_determine-sex-parakeet.html

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, that's a good link but the author doesn't seem to go over the Lutino gene. Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Parrots-1638/Sex-lutino-budgie.htm
    http://www.birds-online.de/allgemein/geschlecht_en.htm

These aren't the best descriptions/links but I was afraid to link to another forum.

Edit: I've had the "regular" blue, green and even pied budgies and have paired them successfully, but this Lutino is throwing me for a loop. I have had budgies before, approximately 10 years, but had to give them up due to allergies. I was recently able to get them again thanks to some awesome allergy meds! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Even if the cere was saying boy and you think a girl, if he's copying the chicks to a T, I think he is male. The boys I've had tend to be much better copiers/singers than the girls. Girls like to just scream and chew on the entire world. [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I wish I had never gotten that canary...it has skewed my entire outlook on female birds. The canary I got was a brilliant singer even though the females aren't supposed to sing.

I'm not trying to tell you all you're wrong...I'm just utterly confused by what I'm reading online as well as on some forums I'm on. Some are telling me it's a pair and others are telling me it's two boys. If it's a boy, so be it. I'm just trying to make sure they will get along. I "believe" two males can get along, but I've always separated into male x female pairs.

8. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:as far as I know males of many birds form pairs until or sometimes in spite of females being present. (doves/pigeons...some waterfoul)

9. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    I am saying both males. I had one just like the yellow one and it was a female and the cere was the brownish color. Both of them are beautiful. I just aquired my friends blue parakeet male and put it with my pied male and they are getting along great. Parakeets have got to be the most laid back birds I have ever met when it comes to putting a stranger in their cage. No fighting whats so ever. Unlike the chickens.

10. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    hate to say it but your little guy are to young, trust me in a mounth or to they could both be females. by the way when did they hatch, they look just weend)
    and you cant sex lutinos unless they lay un egg or are in breeding condition sam with albinos and certen gentics
    -owner of 12 budgies

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by