Luv this site & the help that's here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TenHenAustin, Mar 28, 2012.

1. TenHenAustin

TenHenAustin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Austin TX
    Hi, ya'll![​IMG]

First, I've visited this site for over a year as a chickener wannabe. It started by looking at coops. Over the past year we have converted a portable 10 x 16 bldg (given to us for "free" if we moved it) into 1/2 coop and 1/2 garden house. (Now it's the "gardHen haus") Then the cerebral part of me insisted on reading a book before buying live animals ("The Joy of Keeping Chickens" by J. Megyesi.) I must say, as good as all this is, nothing quite prepares you like hands on animal husbandry!

Here's a description of our flock: Gideon (our roo) is RIR; Hens: 2 BA's (Lois & Eunice), 3 RS's (Hannah, Claudia, Miriam), 1RIR (Esther--she thinks she's "Queen"!), 2 BR's (Abigail & Naomi), and 2 Ameracauna's (Lydia & Zipporah). The 2 BR's & Ameri's were hatched 12/28, the others are about twice that age, we believe.

When you add those to the rest of our fur & feather family (4 dogs, 2 cats, 5 horses and some cattle) you'd think we went cuckoo! (you don't even want to see our food and vet bills!) But, seriously, would life be so beautiful without so much texture and color??? [​IMG]

I look forward to becoming more "involved" and less shy & hope you will forgive me now, for I have decided that this new venture of having chickens requires its own language: using "chicken" with any kind of normal prefix or suffix is perfectly acceptable (chickenry, chickening, chickener...etc.)

Blessings on your day (& your flock),
    Kat

2. SethsArk

SethsArk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    El Dorado County
    Welcome. I doddled around this site for over a year too before creating an account. Sounds like your birds are very fortunate to have such a thoughtful owner!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....glad you joined us

5. adrianis

adrianis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hey there!

I'm new too. I've been getting emails from this site for a while now, and finally decided to sign up.

Also, you might be interested in this site, if you want to purchase rare chickens:
    mypetchicken.com

There were some rare chickens in there that they can mail to your house depending on where you live, these are chickens that are endangered, or close to it. I love this site though. Just thought I'd share.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I love your chickens' names [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. Glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

9. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps