Luv this site & the help that's here!

TenHenAustin

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Austin TX
Hi, ya'll!
frow.gif

First, I've visited this site for over a year as a chickener wannabe. It started by looking at coops. Over the past year we have converted a portable 10 x 16 bldg (given to us for "free" if we moved it) into 1/2 coop and 1/2 garden house. (Now it's the "gardHen haus") Then the cerebral part of me insisted on reading a book before buying live animals ("The Joy of Keeping Chickens" by J. Megyesi.) I must say, as good as all this is, nothing quite prepares you like hands on animal husbandry!

Here's a description of our flock: Gideon (our roo) is RIR; Hens: 2 BA's (Lois & Eunice), 3 RS's (Hannah, Claudia, Miriam), 1RIR (Esther--she thinks she's "Queen"!), 2 BR's (Abigail & Naomi), and 2 Ameracauna's (Lydia & Zipporah). The 2 BR's & Ameri's were hatched 12/28, the others are about twice that age, we believe.

When you add those to the rest of our fur & feather family (4 dogs, 2 cats, 5 horses and some cattle) you'd think we went cuckoo! (you don't even want to see our food and vet bills!) But, seriously, would life be so beautiful without so much texture and color???
big_smile.png

I look forward to becoming more "involved" and less shy & hope you will forgive me now, for I have decided that this new venture of having chickens requires its own language: using "chicken" with any kind of normal prefix or suffix is perfectly acceptable (chickenry, chickening, chickener...etc.)

Blessings on your day (& your flock),
Kat

Welcome. I doddled around this site for over a year too before creating an account. Sounds like your birds are very fortunate to have such a thoughtful owner!

Hey there!

I'm new too. I've been getting emails from this site for a while now, and finally decided to sign up.

Also, you might be interested in this site, if you want to purchase rare chickens:
mypetchicken.com

There were some rare chickens in there that they can mail to your house depending on where you live, these are chickens that are endangered, or close to it. I love this site though. Just thought I'd share.

Back
Top Bottom