Luxuary for Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by saz326, Dec 18, 2013.

1. saz326

saz326 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    I have just been tacking the electricity cable from my newly installed "underfloor heating" on my quail cage.

...crazy, possibly. It all started when we were looking for a way to stop their water bottle/drinker freezing when we are away for several days and have no neighbours under 70 to ask for help.

We bought a soil warming cable and thermostat, so now when the temp drops below X (Thermostat currently set to 0 degrees) in the main bedding area of the house (which is a 2 story rabbit hutch), the cable going up and down the floor of their house, and wrapped around their water drinker will heat and keep things from being frozen.

The cable heats up to around 30 degrees, but as soon as the bedding area achieves the thermostat set temp, it cuts out such that no-one will overheat. Only draws 3 Amps so not painfull on the electricity bills either.

It helps with drying their sand litter out too, reducing smell and making cleaning easier....

So who else has gone above and beyond and spoilt their little monsters...??

Any luxuary difference suggestions for the bridies?

Sarah.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    A funny luxury I have given my birds is lucerne nest hay. :D

They eat the little leaves, and still having vitality in it, it takes so very long to become in need of replacing, so it was actually more cost effective and nutritious than plain hay. But you can imagine the horror and incomprehension on some farmer's faces when they heard about that. lol

3. saz326

saz326 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    ha ha, like little gardeners, trim those leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by