Lying down like a dog

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kudzu, May 18, 2011.

1. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    I have 5 Red Star hens and two of them like to lie on their side in the sun. I walk up to the run and think "O crap" two of them have died, they then get up and go about their business. Is this normal?

2. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    I sure hope so since most of my hens do it! lol

I think they are just sunning like any other animal. My cows do it too and I sometimes have to get the binoculars out to see if they are moving at all!

3. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, their sun bathing! Its really cute, I love watching mine roll around in the dirt and bask in the sun!

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    I think so! Mine do it all the time, they like to sun themselves when, on the rare occasion, the sun breaks through here in Portland. [​IMG]

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:My neighbor once called me completely hysterical because something had killed all my chickens and left their carcasses scattered across the lawn.

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:My neighbor once called me completely hysterical because something had killed all my chickens and left their carcasses scattered across the lawn.

Ummm I don't want to admit it but the first time I saw them do that I freaked the-you-know-what out! Although I had been on this site by then and knew that they were OK but still, gave me a heart attack to see them the first time, they really look dead!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Now, I am old school and am chill about it [​IMG] (like I have know about this behavior forever....) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by