Lyming the poultry yard

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nick77, Jan 10, 2010.

1. nick77

nick77 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    Does anyone use lyme in their poultry yard to reduce the possible risk of certain diseases?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Yes, use the garden lyme (the stuff that don't burn the feet) if you don't intend to till it under. You can use hot lyme, but be sure to till it well under the soil and keep them off of it for several rainfalls.

3. nick77

nick77 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2009
    new hampshire
    What if any diseases is it most effective against?

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I've never heard it was effective against any diseases - I use it with the food grade DE to dry out the coop, keep the smell down and keep flies away
    I also spread it outside in the run when the ground is wet to dry out the poops and keep the smell away

5. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Is garden lime the same as barn lime? Terri O

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Garden lime is recommended in Storey's Guide to help reduce parasites in the environment. As is DE, Sevin, or Wood Ashes for dusting, etc.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Garden/barn lime is granulated (mine is), so I don't worry about just throwing it down. It should say on the bag non burning or something. I know in the real old days, they used to white wash coops and stuff with lime. Must kill something, including some bacteria and fungus.

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was researching this to figure out more ways to control the darn pests here.. and I found that the whitewash is likely with the HOT lime stuff that is caustic.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by