Lyming the wood when you build?

kickinchicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rhode Island
I was looking at the plethora of chicken coops one day,not long ago. And someone had put that they "finished liming the wood". I emailed them but no reply. What is liming the wood and how do I do it and what is the benefit.

I am in Rhode Island. We have SEVERE weather extremes here.
th.gif
From 110 degrees in the summer to 10 below in the winter. Bugs re ALWAYS an issue.
smack.gif
I live in a suburban area and my lot is 5,000 sq.ft. We have May flies in the spring, mosquitoes in the summer, beetles (I didn't treat this year, I wanted to leave the grubs for my girls), ear wigs....I have not noticed any mice or snakes...my dogs and cat would be ALL OVER that!
sickbyc.gif

I am now building a newer, larger chicken McMansion for my 7 birds (5 are bantams!)
love.gif
So, yes, it will be HUGE....more room to add more chickies next Spring.
jumpy.gif
Everyone here says "build for double of what you already have"...and I did...and then some!
old.gif

So what type of lime do I buy, how do I prepare and it and how do I apply it. Or should I just forget it?
hu.gif

The entire floor is pressure treated. 4x4 supports, joists and plywood. Perhaps that will suffice. I think I'll skip it. Thanks for the quick replies.

Back
Top Bottom