Lymphoid Leukosis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Colorado'sMamaHen, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Colorado'sMamaHen

Colorado'sMamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Colorado
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    RIR, 3 1/2 yrs old, 8 pounds

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She hasn't layed eggs for several months. In March, she was experiencing very labored breathing, waddling, diarrhea, shrunken comb and was generally exhausted. Diagnosed at the time with Respiratory Infection and treated with antibiotics. The diarrhea continues and has been green for two weeks now. Her comb has shrunken quite a bit, is pale in color, and she is really worn down. She can not roost with the other girls anymore, so she sleeps in a nesting box by herself. Last to wake up, first to go to bed. Wormed regularly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4 1/2 months

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Initially I thought it was the cold, damp winter

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She eats some granules and drinks a good amount of water. Still likes lettuce and other vegetable/fruit scraps.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Originally a clear/whitish diarrhea, now very dark - nothing solid

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    See #1

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    There are not any poultry vets within 75 miles, so treat her myself...however, I'm pretty sure if someone suggests I drain her belly with a needle I will likely pass out!

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    If you'd like a picture of her behind, I will! [​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Pen with indoor coop - wood shavings

Thanks for any advice in advance,
    Kelly

Oh - today I noticed not spots but small dark blobs on her comb and she is shaking her head about every 5 sec. I'm quite certain she doesn't have mites...between the Ivermectin dosage in May and the Metronidazole last month, they should have wiped out every parasite possible.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Is her abdomen distended? Is it possible she is egg bound of has egg peritonitis?
    I would also, JUST in case, check her for mites as well.
    Sure hope you can figure out what's going on with her. Good luck!

3. Colorado'sMamaHen

Colorado'sMamaHen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Yes, her abdomen is distended so perhaps she does have peritonitis. Does that cause super green, very watery diarrhea as well? Shoot. From what I read in my limited research there's not much I can do for that. Hmmm....I will definitely check her for mites. Thanks, easttxchick.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It can cause that kind of poo. Simply put, it's an internal infection.
    Speckledhen has, sadly, had a lot of experience with this. Maybe you could send her a PM-she's very helpful.
    I know there are temporary solutions, but nothing permanent.
    If this is what is going on with her, I am so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by