Mötley Crue - Gender Guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cherryvandine, Aug 15, 2014.

1. cherryvandine

cherryvandine Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    Hello all!

I've got a mixed hatch of 6 week olds that I'm curious to see what others would guess the gender to be. Any help would be appreciated. My daughters two favorites seem as though they may be roosters which will be a tragedy.

I'm adding two pics of each breed that we have for comparison. These are Ameraucanas and Laced Brahmas (one golden and one buff).

Thanks for any help and I have more pics if they are needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    To me they look like Pullets except for the last one. I don't have any experience with Brahmas though.

3. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    I think #3 is your only for sure pullet. Maybe #1, but the wattles look pretty red for 6 weeks.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    #1 and #4 look like cockerels, but I'm leaning towards pullet on the other two (especially #3).

5. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

4 is a cockerel, but isn't a brahma or an Ameraucana, as it has a single comb. Brahmas and Amaracanas both have pea combs!

6. cherryvandine

Aug 12, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    1 and 2 are her favs. 3 I was also leaning towards pullet but the brahmas have been so slow to feather - they are really odd looking compared to the others. 1 and 3 are brahmas. 2 and 4 are ameraucanas. They are from Taylor Hobby Farms and I'm sure of the breed. Thanks all!

7. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I understand what your saying and I respect that but brahmas and true Amaracanas have pea combs and pic 4 is a single comb, correct?

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    What colors are those Ameraucana supposed to be?

9. kittykitty30

kittykitty30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Spring Creek, Nevada
    They may not be true breeds; they were probably mixed with different breeds down the road. For example I know my Silkie is a Silkie but he isn't a true Silkie because he has a single comb. Same for my Sebright roo. :)

I think they all look like pullets except for the last one but you may want to wait until the back feathers come in. That'll help for sexing. :)

10. cherryvandine

Aug 12, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    I really hope the first two turn out to be pullets just because I don't want to take her favs away from her. So fingers crossed!

About the questions as to the brahmas - this is the info that I have and wanted to share.

"Our Brahmas are from the well known Dan Powell lineage and are absolutely stunning despite the fact that they are still a work in progress. Due to the make-up of this bird, we have had some chicks hatch with straight combs. We will continue to work with the breed so that they produce only pea combs."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by