1. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    DH wants me to show all you chickeneering peoples his tractor. You all know I can't build worth beans but I sure do like trying. DH can't stand it! I'm using his tools and creating something so he had to create his M*A*S*H unit.
    Mobile Avian Sectional Housing.
    He has made it 10x10x6 and the walls can easily be taken off to make it larger (10X20 or even 10x 30) or taken off for less weight when it is moved but let me tell you, this sucker will roll so easy your Grandma could do it!

He made his corner posts for his original frame by putting 3 boards together with deck screws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then he attaches the boards together for the frame with bolts.

[​IMG]

He uses 2x6's on the bottom and 2x4's across the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the framing when he is working on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then he works on making the panels. He uses bolts on most all the frame. I think 3 1/2 are used to put the wall panels together and are sunk into the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When those are together they look like nothing at all. I absolutely hated putting the wire on them though. They are so light we really had a tough time getting the wire tight. We did not succeed.

[​IMG]

This is with a panel done and in place (without the wire).

[​IMG]

Here is how we got the PVC panel roof on it. Very light and easy to tip over at this stage. You can see some panels with wire on them in the front.

[​IMG]

This is the roof on and with one panel in place.

[​IMG]

And some of you may have seen the finished product with tarps on the side. The chickens adore it but we still haven't found a good way to have roosts and nest boxes in there. And every time I move it I have to take most every thing out because it is sectional and DH won't let me permanently attach anything to a wall since they come off. I have ideas though!

[​IMG]

Need more photos? We are building a replica right now. What do I need to add as far as photos?
    We plan to build 2 more for breeder pens. Most of our birds like to free range but we have to have pens sometimes and we can move these all over the farm.

Okay, be honest. What do you all think about DH's M*A*S*H unit?

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    From one Nadine to another Nadine...

Love the name![​IMG] M*A*S*H!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    looks very well built [​IMG]

4. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    I am thinking it's brilliant! I would have some anchoring system even if temporary, something simple like rebar stakes would even do it.

You could always have freestanding nestboxes and roosts. No law says they have to be afixed! Move them out like furniture if you need to make a change. The chooks will adapt!

Orchidchick

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    As a HUGE fan of anything M*A*S*H related, I give it two thumbs up. But I think it needs the regulation M*A*S*H logo on it to make it truly authentic! [​IMG]

6. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Nice Job! Looks Great! [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Hey, guys, thanks!
    No need for any sort of staking. This sucker is HEAVY once finished. Without wheels, DH and me can not lift the side alone and 60 MPH winds tore through here about 2 weeks ago and only ripped one tarp off. The thing never budged and the chickens were fine inside.
    To put the wheels on it we use a crow bar on a piece of wood to lift and then I slide the bolts with wheels on it. If we left the wheels on right now in the spring winds it would roll over the pastures by itself! Gotta get some brakes for it!

8. WestKnollAmy

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Do you all think that I could put the screw in hooks on one of the panel wall boards on each side of the coop and a eye screw in the end of a 2x4 on both ends and hook those up for a roosting board that goes all the way across the tractor? Would that swing too much? The roosting board would be about 10' 6" or a bit more. That way if we ever do take a wall panel off then nothing but the hook would be attached to it.
    But DH says that it may have too much rocking or swing to it and the birds won't like it. I know it will have a little but I wonder if I could use 2 on each end? May not be enough room for 2 hooks and eyes. They would have to be smaller than I was originally thinking and may not hold 15 or so birds.

9. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Great Tractor. I put wheels on my small tractor and started loosing young birds. They just disappeared from the tractor until one day I found a bird under the 2 x 4 bottom rail with its head torn off. Something was reaching under the bottom rail near the wheel and catching the young birds and pulling them out through the gap created by the wheels. I took the wheels off after that.

10. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    I have used a combo of wood screws and zip ties for roosts. Using two screws on each roost end with a tie around it, and another tie an the wall end and it's pretty stable. Play with it! You may need a combo of the above.

Orchidchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by