M-i-L not good and my Mom in hospital

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Smoky73, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    About two weeks ago, hubby's dad called said his mom had a stroke- severe memory loss couldnt remember anything in the last 30 years. We rushed down there to see her after they released her from hospital, and found out the docs said it was not a stroke as the cat scan showed nothing. Apparently it was a serious side effect from a med she was taking for bladder incontinence- Detrol LA. Can cause Dementia and Memory loss.
    Anyway, she was slowly regaining her memory that day while we were there. Hubby has not called to check on her progress, and his dad is not the greatest at thinking of everyone else. I guess we assumed no news was good news- Hubbys brother just e-mailed us today saying he received a e-mail from Dad saying she remembers nothing since 1975 and doesnt even know she has other kids. SHe is 65.

Now yesterday, my sister called from Rhode Island (my adult sister and brother live with my mom) and said that my mother was in the hospital with some kind of bite.
    Said said mom was complaining of leg cramps bad and was thinking maybe a blood clot she went to the doctor. However she didnt tell the doctor she got bit by something on her back previously. My sister said she looked at her back and there was a large round lump like on her back. Mom said it itched really bad. I think this was last week. Since then, she has been in and out of the ER with 104 fever. Yesterday, my brother apparently took her back as her 104 fever was now 105 and the spot on her back has grown outside of the circle they outlined it with. She also had a allergic reaction to the IV they gave her in the hospital. She is currently in the hospital.
    Keep in mind, I am thousands of miles away so I can only go by what my sister has said. They were probably going to keep her for the next several days.

Anyone have any idea what kind of bite this could be? I didnt think Recluse was in that part of the country. Any other ideas? I feel useless sitting here. She is in her cities hospital which my sister says would be better if she was someplace else as she fears they do not know what they are doing. My mother is 56.

Prayers needed for both.

2. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh man, I'm so sorry! I really don't know what could have bitten her, but I'm sure that someone who may will post soon. I'll be praying for your MIL and for your mom. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a google search for Spider Bites in whatever state she's in.

I had a spider bite recently and I googled Spider Bites California. Came up with a great website.

Best of luck, you are in my prayers. [​IMG]

4. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    My sister said that they had drawn her blood to check for Lyme Disease from a possible tick bite, but that they cannot diagnose lyme disease with a blood test?
    I do not know how she would know that anyway, she is not a medical professional at all.

Apparently my MIL cannot remember anything, hubby called already and said she has not been able to do any hair appointments (she is a hairdresser) since the ER visit and is having to remember how to cook.

I am a little irritated that his dad didnt think it was important enough to let us know any of this. I have no idea if she has had a MRI or anything since the initial visit.

I plan to call my moms friend tonight to see about any news. I could call the hospital to talk to her, but I do not want to stress her out too badly.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers...

6. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Your Mom's situation sounds just like MRSA (the Staph infection that is multi-antibiotic resistant). A lot of people are showing up with it now and I have heard (and read) many say they think they've been bit by a spider. And legs are very common for this (why? I don't have a clue!). If the infection gets into the blood stream it can be dangerous (symptoms: aches, cramps, fever, extreme tiredness...).
    This is just a thought, maybe something to look at.
    We'll be praying for you and your family.
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

7. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    If it is MRSA PLEASE ask them to have doctors check for this it will have to be lanced and the stuff inside tested. 3 of 4 people in my house had this last year over 7 month time frame. Also my sister was going through the ER thing about 6 months ago it started out the size of a quarter and before they surgically removed it, it was the size of a nerf football her scar is 6 inches long. If caught quickly it can be medically treated by high strength antibiotics.

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Im in CT....we have brown recluse here....I knew a women who was bitten by one.

Hope everyone gets better soon.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Oh jeeze.Hugs and Prayers.

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I just talked to my moms friend, who, has not seen her today yet, but plans on it tonight. She said apparently she got the spot on her back about 6 days ago. She was admitted sometime between Saturday night and last evening when I talked to my sister. My sister lives on and off at home, so, she didnt know mom was in the hospital till after the fact. They were all moving on Saturday, as they had to find a new apartment. Her friend said she was complaining of numbness on the one side (to her anyway) and when she saw the spot on her back, it was the size of a tennis ball with a spot in the center.
    I didnt know it could be MRSA, but will mention it to her tonight. I think she said she would let my mom use her cell phone to call me.

Nothing new on my MIL yet, just that she only remembers having the one son, my husband. She also has another boy and two girls, a lot older than DH. The other son is the one we talk to.

I appreciate everyones thoughts and prayers, hopefully everyone will recover soon. I will keep everyone updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by