ma pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kwalrath, Jun 19, 2016.

1. kwalrath

kwalrath New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    My female pekin is on the nest continuously now for last the last few days. I feed her peas in the morning and afternoon. put bowl of water in the coop also.
    My question is what happens when she hatches? I do not have them penned for now but is it wise to leave the coop open.
    So far we haven't had any predators except neighbors cats and dogs run them off.
    Do I have to feed them as I did with momma when she arrived by mail or do I separate her from them.. I can close up the pen any time. She has a large pond to teach them to swim etc. I just want to be ready for these guys when they arrive.
    Appreciate all the help I can get.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would be sure to protect her. She is very vulnerable to attack now.

@Miss Lydia do you have some ideas here? I have never had a duck hatch littles.

@learycow

@Duck Drover

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @kwalrath Your asking for trouble not keeping them penned, you may never see a predator until it's too late and once your Pekin hatches her ducklings they will be sitting ducks for a predator. The peeping your ducklings will make will be enough to alert any number of preds there is something tasty there.Mama ducks can not defend her babies from anything with teeth and claws. Mink weasel rats raccoons, opossums foxes and domestic cats to just name a few. They are everywhere. So best thing would be to get mama and eggs inside a protected area. before hatch.

Feed the ducklings and mama same feed either duckling starter or chick starter. Always make sure there is fresh water and in something the ducklings can't get into and drown.

If you have an in ground pond you want to also make sure you don't have snapping turtles they are very fond of ducklings.

1 person likes this.
  4. kwalrath

kwalrath New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    I have the pen but not closed up yet. Sounds like a good suggestion though, even tho we have very few of the ones mentioned. I may put them on the back deck like I did raising mom an dad.another question, she has straw now do I change it to shavings when they hatch or leave as straw.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  5. kwalrath

kwalrath New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    Well, the ducks were raising a ruckus so I went out thinking momma just wanted out of cage so I let her out. They all came to the steps just jabbering away, thought they wanted peas. So I went in an got some and they had gone to the.pond. I checked her nest.
    Surprise!! 8 ft black snake. She's happy and sitting on her eggs. 8 or 9 now.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Everyone okay? they only get about 6' here.

7. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    That's why you need a safe lockable coop. We only have these 15 or so predators:
    weasels, squirrels, mink, marten, fisher, skunk, fox, coyote, wolf, bear, cougar, cats, dogs, birds of prey including owls, lynx, wolverine, occasionally opposums, magpies, rats, snakes, ravens, otter.
    You need to protect your ducks or they will all be dead soon. I'm warning you. It might seem like you don't have many predators but I bet there's many you don't consider or think about. Predators don't always eat just the ducks- they eat the eggs, ducklings, food, and if they have access to the coop they disrupt your ducks' happiness and life. Once you have a predator so much as visit- he doesn't even have to taste the feathers or meat- I assure you, he will come back until he gets a chance to kill. Even if it's a neighbourhood dog. Please protect your ducks. Now! :/ I'd hate to see you disappointed on BYC because something got them.
    Also, please don't seperate the mama and her ducklings. They've already imprinted on her voice and it would be so much better for all. She can naturally brood them, too- no heat lamp required. You can use a creep feeder if you're worried about feed.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by