Mabel seems to have gone broody all of a sudden...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KTruxillo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. KTruxillo

KTruxillo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    My sweet hen Mabel seems to have decided to hatch some babies, when going to collect eggs this afternoon she was sitting on the eggs and would not move. While I don't mind if she does, I just didn't expect it. She showed no signs of being broody yesterday. She is currently on five eggs that were laid today, conveniantly in freshly cleaned nesting boxes full of nice fluffy pine shavings. I just don't know what to do next, do I just let her do her thing or what? I'm in south Louisiana so the temps are getting cooler but not by any means is it near cold. We are still in the high 70's low 80's. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

As long as you have a rooster, why not let her hatch some chicks?

My "rule" for "is she broody or not?" is two nights in succession on the nest instead of the roost. Plus the puffing up and screaming part, too. [​IMG]

As long as you have a draft free coop, there shouldn't be any problem letting her set now and hatch chicks in three weeks. First, she's mature, therefore fully feathered so SHE will be just fine. Her chicks will stay under her, and she's fine, so they'll be fine. When they do come out, whenever they get too cold, they'll huddle around her and she'll cover them. Again, her insulation will handle the chill.

Just sayin'......

3. KTruxillo

KTruxillo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Breaux Bridge
    That's what I was thinking, we currently have a seperate pen (attatched to the larger main run) with 12- 6 week olds getting ready to integrate with the flock so it looks like I will just move mama and chicks in there to protect from a few of my more "pecky" hens until they are ready to go with the flock. That coop has a light so if the temps do get too cool for some odd reason, I will be able to offer them extra warmth.

One more question- I noticed a lot of people will move Momma back in with the flock but still keep chicks separated, will Mabel have any issues if I leave her with the chicks until everyone is ready to integrate with the flock? They all still have contact with each other, just separated by fencing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by