Mabel's update *Update-she died*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Firefighter Chick, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    I went to let the chickens out this morning and found her cold and stiff. She had choked on her vomit. RIP little girl. [​IMG] [​IMG]

A few weeks ago I posted a subject on the predador's section about my dogs attacking one of my chickens. The newly named Mabel, a five month old hatchery Buff Orpington was found cowering by my older dog with my younger dog barking and bouncing around her. I thought she was dead until I got near her and she started to scream. I thought for sure i'd have to put her down. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and started to nurse her back to health. she was separated for a few weeks, washed with iodine and blukoted. her lower back was featherless, skinless, and raw. Her neck was bare and torn up. slowly she started eating and drinking again. she has to stand more upright (like a runner duck) because it takes her a little bit longer to swallow with all the trauma she's had to her neck. She's still very underweight but she does eat. I try to sneak her treats. I converted a baby dress to cover her up. It didn't work well and it came off. She's spent most of her time hiding from the other chickens who try to pick at her.

Today, her back was pecked raw so i had to make a tough decision. I brought her inside the house to evaluate her injuries. Her back was red and a little bloody but nothing too bad. her neck was healing and the scabs were starting to crust off. I cleaned her up, fed her a treat, then brought her back to the coop. I knew she wasn't getting better as fast as she could being integrated with her siblings so I made the decision to pet her with the babies. the babies are the few days old meaties that i have in the second half of my coop (separated from the other side with boards and chicken wire and a door). The babies were initially terrified of this purple and orange turkey-looking mutant that was now dwelling with them. They went screaming to the other side of their brooder. I gave them time to aquint knowing that this could be either good or bad. I went inside the house to get ready for work. before leaving for work, i went back and checked on the babies. Here was Mabel sitting underneath the brooder light relaxing, something she has not had for a while. the babies were happily chasing each other, eating, and drinking around her. You see, when Mabel was in isolation, she was miserable. Not only the pain she must have felt but to be away from her flock. To see them eating, drinking and carrying on while she had to be stuck in a dog kennel, then to be integrated back and to be chased and pestered. Now, the tables have turned. She's the older, bigger, stronger one. She has company. She has plenty of food and drink....i'd like to think she's loving it.

Thanks for listening to Mabel's update.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I am glad that things are working out for Mabel! [​IMG] It should work out for her to heal with the younger chicks. I had a similar situation, although not as extreme.
    I purchased an Ameraucana (10 weeks) whose upper back had been pecked and was featherless in a spot. It wasn't bleeding, but was bare. After a 3 week quarantine, I tried to integrate her into my flock (same age) and it just didn't work. She was extremely nervous, showed aggressive behavior herself, and of course, started getting pecked on her back. I took her out and put her back in isolation. She had been in with another pullet (12 weeks) who successfully integrated into the flock so now she was by herself. I had a pen of 7 week old chicks in the same area, so they were able to see and hear each other while my Ameraucana continued to regrow her feathers. This past week, I tried one more time to integrate her into my flock. Not happening, even though she was completely healed. I decided to move her in with the younger group and it has worked out beautifully. There definitely was tension at first. She was the aggressor but once she realized she was at the top because of her size, she settled down and is happier than I have ever seen her be. She was always so nervous and flighty, now she has calmed down and will snuggle with the others and doesn't have that constant on alert, I'm terrified look.

Mabel should be fine integrating back into her flock once she is healed. This is a great story and should help others who may find themselves in the same situation. Thanks for sharing.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm rooting for Mable!

4. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    thanks for your kind words. The chicks were initially terrified of her, but now they follow her around mimicking what she does. She rests underneath the heat lamp and they lay by her. it's so cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by