1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mabey a Mini...Pics included

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JCoogle, Jan 24, 2010.

1. JCoogle

JCoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a silkie chick that was hatched in late Sept. or early Oct. My question is she is the size of a chick that is about a month old, she is fully feathered and other then really small 100% healthy. Is there a such thing as Minis?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    There is a bantam variety of silkies , which is the same thing as a mini.

3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    could you post some pics? i'd love to see how small it is! [​IMG]

4. JCoogle

Here are a couple of pics. The white one is a couple weeks older then her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    There is Dwarfism in chickens and ducks as well.. Look up Micro Duck in the search... He is soo cute..

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All Silkies in the U.S. are bantams. You may have a runt or a dwarf, but a dwarf isn't just small, it's odd looking with curved beak, extra short legs for the body size, etc.

7. JCoogle

Besides being small everthing is normal. So I guess that knocks out dwarf.

8. speckledhen

I know a bit about dwarves. There are different causes and a dwarf can just spontaneously pop up in any line, once and never again. In other types, apparently, the rooster and a hen must carry the gene for it to express itself. The rooster will contribute the gene half the time and when it combines with a hen also carrying it, you get these little genetic anomalies with curved shortened beaks, short legs, sometimes with curved toes, tendon issues and on occasion, feathering problems. I had an occasion to do some research on this recently. robin416 had a dwarf silkie once, too, that she said was an ugly little thing, but she did lay eggs, etc. Once my Barred Rocks produced a single dwarf, but only one out of hundreds of incubated eggs, so apparently, that is the odd, freak occurrence type.

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thanks for the info.. I have a great aunt and uncle who are dwarves and am afraid my lil nephew may be as well.. He is almost 4 and looks about 18 months and wears 18 month clothes.. But other then being lil he looks "normal" .. No shortened arms or anything..

10. speckledhen

You know, could be the silkie in question is a dwarf, but of a type I'm not familiar with--see article below. There are several types of dwarfism in poultry, but the two I cited, I believe, are the most common. The one type that I described with curved toes and beaks usually don't live to adulthood and there is a lethal gene associated with it if you breed two together. The once-in-a-lifetime type usually do fine. Gosh, I wish I could remember who hatched that dwarf BR from me. She kept him as a pet, but I cannot find the thread. It was a couple years ago.

Here is a blurb from an article on Poultry mutations:

Dwarfing Genes:
    There have been four loci identified with dwarfing mutations, one locus with multiple mutation alleles:

•Z
    •rg
    •adw
    •dw, dwM, dwB
    * Z "Dominant Sex-linked Dwarfism"– found in Golden Sebrights (Maw 1935, crossed Light Brahma with Gold Sebrights).

* rg "Recessive Sex-linked Dwarfism"– Black Rosecomb Bantams (Godfrey 1953, crossed Barred Plymouth Rock with Black Rosecomb bantams)

* adw "Autosomal Dwarfism"- mutation occurred in Cornell K strain White Leghorns (Cole 1973)

* dw, dwM, dwB "Sex-linked Dwarfism"- closely linked to silver-gold & slow-rapid feathering loci.

-------------------------

- dw Mutation appeared in a New Hampshire flock (Hutt 1959)

- dwB found in Golden Sebright (Custodio & Jaap 1973) (dwB dominant over dw)

dwM found in a meat-type line (Hsu et al 1975). (inheritance relationship with other locus alleles not determined).

Generally large & bantam crosses produced F1 offspring intermediate in size (sometimes closer to bantam size). F2 offspring had the greatest variation in size. An exception was found in a study by Danforth (1929). There was variation between bantam breeds when he crossed a Millefleur Belgian d'Uccle Bantam male with Sebright females. Some F1 progeny were larger than the parents, & in later generations birds both larger and smaller than the parental types were obtained.

I haven't crossed Standard size to bantams, but there is a lot of difference in size between various bantam breeds I have crossed, and sometimes there is obvious variation in sizes within a breed, between lines. Usually the first crosses are intermediate in size, but I've had results similar to Danforth, where F1 offspring were larger than both parent birds (eg Orpington Bantam X Indian Game Bantam, resulting F1 were close to commercial layer size, and unrelated d'Uccle X d'Uccle, some F1 offspring larger than parents, etc). Something that I thought was amiss in “Poultry Breeding and Genetics” was that there was little mention in the chapter of mutations that INCREASE size. Crosses were made between bantam breeds to large Standard size breeds, these much larger than the Red Jungle Fowl –wild type. Obviously mutations that increase size would need to be taken into consideration when determining dwarfing genes.

There is another chapter in the book, dealing with studies on the dw gene, for possible commercial use. Usually these dwarfing genes have little in the way of deleterious effects to general health (sometimes heath gains), but of course there are few production issues, eg reduced egg size, body weights, etc (tend to be more efficient with feed consumption to production outputs though).​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by