maby the dumbest ? to ask,

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by steven11788, Aug 5, 2008.

1. steven11788

steven11788 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    hickory Nc
    since i've raised fowl for about 2 years.. but not your standerd "barnyard chickens" i've raised gamefowl and know by tragic experince you can't keep to roosters loose, but what about say jersey giants and Buffs, have RIR hens and buff hens, and have some bantnies, but never had normal roosters, i know they they have a pecking order, so the question is

can i have 1 Jersey giant and 1 Buff orington loose with about 15 hens ? will they fight and see who is the dominant, then, the other backs off.. peoples told me that, so what do ya'll think

2. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    depends on the roo usually......

3. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Bur you've got a better chance of it than with games. I have heard that if both roosters have their own hens when you put them together, they don't need to fight so much. But then you have to worry about the hens getting back together. So good luck.

4. steven11788

Jun 13, 2008
    hickory Nc
    darn i guess i'll have to choose which one i want, guess i'll go with the Giant.

5. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Until this year we only had 8 hens and two roos...no problems then and none now [​IMG]

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    should be fine but never know till u try depends alot on the roo but i think ud be fine

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I would give them a chance to see if they can get along and if not then get rid of one. Good luck!

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    If they grow up together they will establish who is head roo before they get big enough to do any harm to each other.

Keep them together all the time and there should be no problem. Seperate them and they will fight.

9. steven11788

Jun 13, 2008
    hickory Nc
    thank you to all, i just want some pretty birds pifering around the barn, then it hits me i have some (well culls, that i couldn't kill ) around the edge of our properety, the free-range and stick to them selves, i guess i could put them in the Iwanna for free.. or try to give 'em away, im sure there tasty [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  10. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Standard breeds won't kill each other, they will find a pecking order, don't sweat it. They may fight, but it won't be the same as the games, trust me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by