1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mabye sick chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Aug 8, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    So I'm wondering if one of my chicks isn't doing well. She has been very active since arrival until last night when it was about time to bed down. The other three all hunkered down together and she went off by herself. Checked on her in the middle of the night and she was still off by herself. This morning she was hunkered down with the others but when they all started running around to eat and drink she just kind of stands there. I picked her up and checked her out. No pasty butt. and she peeps when I hold her. BUt when I put her back in the brooder she just stays wherever I put her. Now mind you the other three went back to sleep so maybe it's nothing. What do you think? My daughter was handling her a ton yesterday evening - was it too much?

Worried mom!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You're very right to be concerned. When baby anythings show unusual behavior it usually means take action immediately. However with birds especially it can be very, very difficult to tell what's wrong, and even if there are symptoms quite often the same symptoms occur for multiple problems, some fatal, others not.

Your daughter likely did harm the chick; kids are too rough almost as a rule. Very few children have a concept of how much pressure they're applying or of the physical framework of the creature they're handling. If any bones are broken, resting is good. Does the chirping when you hold her sound louder or shriller than normal? If the chick's not eating it may be quite serious but in that case there wouldn't be much you can do.

The fact that the chick did not seek warming last night is a support for the broken bone theory; it could mean it's dying, but with most cases of badly broken bones, especially those with internal bleeding, staying cold overnight saves lives because it slows and restricts bloodflow. Often warming the creature right after the break is fatal whereas a shivery night is lifesaving.

There is a possibility the chick was fed something inedible. Kids get excited about baby birds eating all manner of stuff and sometimes assist the birds to eat things the bird ought not to.

There is also a possibility of illness. Keeping an eye on poop color and consistency is always something I do, daily, with my chooks. In the scenario that it's just injury, I would make feed available to her. Treats are good as long as they're healthy, and some fasting helps them heal quicker as their resources are not directed to growth and digestion. I always give some honey water to ill or injured birds and even healthy ones get a regular taste of it. Raw honey is a lifesaver and shock remedy, and contains electrolytes, minerals, vitamins, probiotics, and a whole lot more that basically renders it a life support feed and general tonic for health. I'd just mix a teaspoonful in a cupful of good water (not fluoridated/chlorinated tap water) and put it in a container they can drink out of easily, if they're small enough to drown in a cup.

Best wishes with the chick.

1 person likes this.
  3. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks Chooks4life. Not what I wanted to hear but helpful just the same.

I watched my daughter the whole time and I know she wasn't fed anything different (although I had added a little organic yogurt to their feed for a treat in the afternoon). I didn't see any rough handling but hard to tell sometimes.

The peeping does not get frantic when I pick her up - except when I try to check her bottom!

How long will it take before I know whether things are looking better or worse? I hate not knowing!

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I would give them a bit of honey water, but only once. Adding sugar to their water can cause diarrhea and raise the chances of pasty butt. I personally give my pullets apple cider vinegar with the mother, I've been putting it in their water since they were around 2-3wks old and I'd never use anything else. My girls are perfectly healthy and I contribute some of that to using ACV. And it needs to have "with the mother" on the label, it will have the enzyms needed to promote good health. I don't measure mine but I've read people who say 1tbsp per gallon.

ACV info

5. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    When we first got our chicks I would let my daughter play with them but then decided against it and after a few days she was okay with not being able to pick them up anymore. After I quit letting her pick them up I started letting her give them their treats that way she could bond with them that way.

6. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    My chicks are only 3 days old so I'm guessing I should not start the ACV quite yet? Currently using a vitamins and electrolytes that came with the chicks from Meyers.

7. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Technically you can, they are old enough IMO. But since you have that stuff I'd just finish using it and then switch to the ACV. No need to be wasteful [​IMG]

8. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: Generally chicks don't mind being tilted etc, as long as they're held securely. Maybe an injury.

With a baby you will know soon if it's getting better. They don't last long when things aren't getting better. If she doesn't start eating by tomorrow, or however long it is until she's fasted for a whole day, I would think maybe a goner. A chick can't fast for more than half a day to a day without an issue looming. It is still early though. One issue with playing with chicks is that kids don't let them drink or eat as often as they need which is quite often. Maybe the chick overheated in the kid's hands and wasn't allowed water or food for a bit longer than it could easily cope with --- however this wouldn't cause this lethargy and the separation you describe. Hope it all turns out well. Best wishes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    We're doing really well getting water into her. She's totally got the hang of the dropper and actually seems to enjoy the attention (at least she's not making frantic peeps)! :) Trying to figure out how to get some food into her. Can't get the food the consistency to pass through the dropper though. Any suggestions?

10. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Sad to report my little chickie Rosey just died. I'm actually pretty grateful. It was awful to watch and not be able to do anything but give her water. Now I just hope that it wasn't something that will affect the other three.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by