Macaw time or not?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by mr.mc., Oct 12, 2011.

1. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    Hi all, I just found a GRATE deal on a young blue & gold macaw. [​IMG]
    I want a good companion bird, & I need to know if I need
    to take the deal or let it go.

ps. the price is only $200!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Well -

The cheapest part is buying the bird... (like a horse)

The cage ... (bigger the better)

the vet...(someone who has a avian degree only)

the beak and nail trimmings...

and they live , oh forever....

Where will you be between now and when this bird passes on? (approx 80 years)

----
    will you change jobs?

need more school?

Have to move somewhere not bird friendly?

how often do you travel?

---

Do you have 1-2 hours everyday for hands on bird bonding the next 80 years?

Do you have a trustworthy pet-sitter for if you leave town?

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Hint: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

4. FireTigeris

Yes, birds with behavior issues are hard to tame.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    And if you aren't familiar with Macaws and their personality, you just may find out why it was priced so low.
    Their beaks can easily take your finger off. And if they scream, it is not a good thing if you have neighbors. Or like quiet.

6. FireTigeris

and a cage like you would have for a keet or teil is not the right size.

You need one of those $350-1200 type cages- minimum dimensions listed in books is not good for the bird, thy need about 6*4*6 to be able to open their wings and move around.

People WILL sell the wrong size cage to someone e/o caring about the bird.

7. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Good luck finding a large macaw cage for $350. My Sammy is in a Kings Cage model 306, which is actually a small cage for a large macaw.

Unfortunately, there will be many "great deals" on parrots in the coming years, as people realize that the "cute, friendly, quiet" babies they bought have grown up. I love parrots, but I am weird. If you're willing to put in some time with taming and rehabilitation, you just may have found your next friend for life. But if you think this "great deal" can earn you some money by breeding it, I don't think you'll find much success. You'll spend way more in the "getting started" part than you'd get back from your first few clutches -- and that's assuming they'd breed. And besides, the fact that someone is selling a B&G for such a small amount should tell you that the demand for these birds has dropped, and breeding more isn't really the way to go.

I hope you know what you're getting into. If you do, then this could be a great thing. If you just see a low price for a macaw and can't resist it, you'll soon find that the money saved will be spent many times over in upkeep.

Good luck.

[​IMG]

8. FireTigeris

Quote:Good luck finding a large macaw cage for $350. My Sammy is in a Kings Cage model 306, which is actually a small cage for a large macaw.

Unfortunately, there will be many "great deals" on parrots in the coming years, as people realize that the "cute, friendly, quiet" babies they bought have grown up. I love parrots, but I am weird. If you're willing to put in some time with taming and rehabilitation, you just may have found your next friend for life. But if you think this "great deal" can earn you some money by breeding it, I don't think you'll find much success. You'll spend way more in the "getting started" part than you'd get back from your first few clutches -- and that's assuming they'd breed. And besides, the fact that someone is selling a B&G for such a small amount should tell you that the demand for these birds has dropped, and breeding more isn't really the way to go.

I hope you know what you're getting into. If you do, then this could be a great thing. If you just see a low price for a macaw and can't resist it, you'll soon find that the money saved will be spent many times over in upkeep.

Good luck.

[​IMG]

All true - $350 is the lowest that I remember but that was a awhile ago.... *looks....* OH WOW!!! my high end is now the middle!!!!

9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    One major red flag here is that you don't mention whether the bird is hand raised or not. If it has been raised by the parents, that may be a very good reason why the price is so low. Birds raised naturally can be very difficult to tame, and some never are.

Also, if it is your first bird, I'm not sure I would jump into owning anything so large without having worked around them for a year at the very least. They are loud, messy, and can be very stinky, especially when they squirt poop all over their cage and wall! It also makes going away very difficult, as well as moving if you don't already own a house. Macaws are pretty demanding in their social needs department, and they can be moody which scares quite a few people when they don't expect it. Even the nicest bird can have off days.

If you are still interested, go see the bird for yourself and see how it interacts with you. Birds are very good at choosing the people they want to be with. Also, as others said, buying the bird is often the cheapest part. However, there are other options, such as adoption and there is no shortage of bird needing homes. However, if you are looking for a hand raised baby, just take some time to raise up the money you'll need and get something you really want. Don't let a low price be a deciding factor especially since this animal will be with you for so many years!

10. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

You will spend about 650 on a decently made macaw cage that will probably be too small to keep him in all day, every day. You can get the cheaper one, but you will be buying it again in 6 months when he starts poping the welds on its bars, which will be a danger to him if they don't allow him out to get ahold of your house [​IMG]. he will need a lot of interaction time because birds are flock animals and do not like to be alone, however since he has had a previous owner he may have bonding or aggression issues [​IMG]. They are very worthwhile creatures, but prepare yourself for a lot of work and a lot of monetary investment. And you will get out of your relationship with your bird what you put into it. I would meet the bird first, see if you get along before investing in a cage, vet checkup, and ect.

Used to have a greenwing for 3 years with my ex- and after we split up I let him keep it because I was not financially well off enough to mantain and pay for vet visits. I really regret having to do that, but I pray he is taking care of her well. He called me after we split to tell me how hard it was to scrub the cage- in all the time we had Miko he had never done it before! [​IMG]

Oh, and if you get the bird, don't let the morning poop deter you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by