Mace, Gone to New Home...thank you, lockedhearts

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Apr 2, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know Karen will give my Macer and his two half-sisters a great new home, but I have to tell you, this was very hard. I just couldn't let Dutch and Mace battle constantly and stay bloody and scarred. When Mace lost half of his wattle, we decided he should find a home where he could relax and be his very sweet self. Still....[​IMG] He's Hawkeye's son and most of you know what that means to me.

2. sheps4her

sheps4her Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Guilford County, NC
    [​IMG] Sounds like you are putting him first, which is the right thing to do. I am sure he will have a great home and a great new life. You love him and did the right thing for him even though it was hard. Good for you. [​IMG]

3. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    We get attatched to the little buggers don't we?I just sold seven 2 year old laying hens last week and even though I had not named them it was still hard to put them in the box and let someone carry them away.However they are living at the beach now so I guess they are beachcomers. lol They are laying well already and the couple are very happy so I'm happy.

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:AWWW Cyn,
    You know that I think the world of him! He is settled in with Zoe and Margaret. Their Tractor is in a pasture so they have a little grass to nibble and good soil to scratch in. Hopefully this weekend we can get a more permanent home for them.

Eventually, Mace will go with , likely Zoe and a couple of the younger girls, I may put Shaq (Zoe's first daughter, don't ask about the name... LOL)
    in there as well. Margaret will go in with the Younger BR Rooster I end up keeping and a few more girls. The rest of the girls will go with Skeeter, the Blue Barred Rooster.

Thank You so much for thinking I was worthy of having Mace and also for being so kind to give up Zoe and Margaret! Sorry we could not stay long, it has been a very long day, I am exhausted. I ended up with not only A Super Trio of Barred Rocks, but also a really nice Favorelle Cockerel from Mike aka Bantyman and some more eggs for the bator.

Mace is not gone in any way, he has simply changed zip codes and is now living on the West Side of Georgia. I am honored that he is here.

5. speckledhen

[​IMG]

6. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I know it must have been hard for you but you did the right thing. I'm so glad he went to someone who'll love and take good care of him.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    He will be loved and very happy. You did the right thing which was the hard thing.

[​IMG]

I know you can go visit him if you want to. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oh Cyn.... [​IMG] You did what was best for him. I'm sure he will totally love his new home and new ladies.
    Karen, please keep us updated on Mace!! Lots of pictures, please! [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

Poor Mace was a mess. We bathed him before Karen took him to get any dried blood out of his feathers, but the combination of molting plus his battles with Dutch and the picking ladies really made for a rough looking rooster. Thank goodness Karen can see past all that.

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I think he is Handsome and the half wattle just adds to his character, much like CJ's freaky comb..... LOL

It is what makes them who they are. I think the sun is finally trying to come out and I will go out in a bit despite the wind and get some pics of the 3 of them in their new temporary home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by