Mace, the girls and some BR babies growing up

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lockedhearts, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I went and got Mace from Cyn, she was kind enough to let me take a couple of Girls to keep him company. So Mace, Zoe & Margaret have been here for about a month, they are in their Temporary Tractor , will move to a permanent coop once the house project is done.
    Mace is getting over molting so forgive him, Margaret is starting to molt but God Bless her she is still laying every day.

[​IMG]

[URL]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/1845_p4210006.jpg[/URL][img]

Here are a couple of chicks I raised from Cyn's eggs.

Nice BR Cockerel

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/1845_p4210010.jpg

Some Pullets a cockerel

[​IMG]

My Big Pullet , Shaq, She is Zoe's Daughter and of course my Camera Hog CJ!
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good to see Mace's poor half-wattle healing up and his comb looks much, much better! And there's my CJ! He turned out to be a really handsome guy, didnt he? Sure has filled out!

3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I was putting neosporin on it every other day, last week it looked so good I stopped and am lettingit heal on it's on the rest of the way.

4. speckledhen

[​IMG] I knew you'd be a good mama for Macer!

5. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I put up with CJ the rotten BRat! LOL

He is starting to come around to being my buddy, I am sure this was a culture shock for him. If Shaq is half as good a hen as her Mama she will be here forever.

6. speckledhen

So you really like our Zoe, huh? She always was a good girl and her barring is so fine, compared to most of the other girls I have. Mace's big brother just went back to his flock today after his comb and wattles healed. Those darn BR girls, one RIR and SHADOW, my banty Cochin, went after him again, probably out of habit. He managed to avoid being eaten alive, but I swear, I may be selling off several BR girls just because of the pattern they've set up with Dutch. My older ones, Lexie, Ivy, Becca and Amanda don't bother him. It's just the younger four BR girls. It would be a good time to hatch some BRs from other lines, I guess. Anyway, at least Dutch and Mace won't be duking it out in the chicken yard!

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I love Zoe, and I think Shaq is gonna look just like her, out of the pics she is actually younger than the other girls and is bigger. In fact she is probably almost 3/4 of Zoe's size already and only about 5 months old now. She still has HUGE feet!

8. speckledhen

I'm still thrilled that they didn't stop laying when you took them home to live with you! That means they weren't too stressed out and are comfy there, comfy enough that you have eggs to sell! Awesome!

9. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I was not surprised the first day, I have had that happen, I think the process was started in the hen and she had no choice. But when they continued, especially with Margaret molting I was very surprised.
    If the rest of my girls lay as well, when they ever start, I will have eggs coming out of my ears!

No one has bought this last batch. So I guess they will go in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by