Mackerel recipes needed please

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Highlander, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    DH and DS just came home from a fishing trip and brought back some lovely fresh mackerel. I was just going to simply grill them with lemon and fresh herbs but if anyone has any more interesting recipes I would be very glad to hear them!

On another note, can I assume that the heads and insides would be ok for the chickens or would I get fishy eggs?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Grilling should be delicious! The lemon will help cut some of the "oily" flavor of the mackeral.

I wouldn't worry about fishy eggs - it won't last more than a day or two! I have given mine the heads and guts in the past. However, I do know of a certain cat who is going to be very disappointed if he doesn't get at least one head..... [​IMG]

Freezing the heads will work, too. Use it later to make a court boullion.

3. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Mackeral is very fishy tasting. Smoked mackeral is outstanding if you have access to a smoker.

4. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
  5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    ooh that sounds lovely Kim, thank you.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I love grilled mackerel but it makes the kitchen stink for days and it makes any subsequent grillled food taste fishy for weeks. After a few nasty experiences with fish flavoured toast, I now always bake my mackerel in the oven. Bit of butter inside them, herbs on top, wrapped in tinfoil and baked slowly. I love the fishy oily flavour but if you want to reduce it a bit you can squeeze lemon over it on the plate. Yum!

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    the oil in it makes for a great smoked, or smoked then canned, product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by