Macy's does the Hallelujah Chorus!\

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Nana2KJS, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
  2. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    Awesome...

On Saturday, October 30, 2010, the Opera Company of Philadelphia brought together over 650 choristers from 28 participating organizations to perform one of the Knight Foundation's "Random Acts of Culture" at Macy's in Center City Philadelphia. Accompanied by the Wanamaker Organ - the world's largest pipe organ - the OCP Chorus and throngs of singers from the community infiltrated the store as shoppers, and burst into a pop-up rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's "Messiah" at 12 noon, to the delight of surprised shoppers.​

3. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I had watched that earlier this evening. Brought tears to my eyes, and uplifted hands to the heavens. In other words, "AWESOME". [​IMG]

Jen

4. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    I've cried through it several times. This was one of my dad's favorites ... we did it for Easter or Christmas every year in church choir. The last time I played it was an organ/piano duet for his "homegoing" service.

In my heart I believe he was there singing along.

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who cried. I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with me that I got so emotional [​IMG]

Jen

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Even though i'm not religious..i thing that things like that are beautiful. [​IMG]

7. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

My undergrad degree is in music (voice is primary instrument)....and in the interest of sharing good music - I LOVE IT!!!!! What a creative way to share a love for music!!!

Just as a small side note,(and a tip of the hat to Red Hen) many of us who perform in (and/or enjoy) the arts are not religious - but a large bulk of the music was underwritten by the Catholic Church because they had deep pockets and employed many of the composers that we treasure today. Composers needed an income - and most worked either for the Church or the King (sometimes one and the same!). The church was an "employer." The church was also good at keeping records - hence, most of the music was preserved and is what we love today.

Great music is great music - no matter the content. It can be enjoyed by all equally - it might be one of the best things about music!

ETA - Here is the explanation for the who/what/why:

On Saturday, October 30, 2010, the Opera Company of Philadelphia brought together over 650 choristers from 28 participating organizations to perform one of the Knight Foundation's "Random Acts of Culture" at Macy's in Center City Philadelphia. Accompanied by the Wanamaker Organ - the world's largest pipe organ - the OCP Chorus and throngs of singers from the community infiltrated the store as shoppers, and burst into a pop-up rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's "Messiah" at 12 noon, to the delight of surprised shoppers. This event is one of 1,000 "Random Acts of Culture" to be funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation over the next three years. The initiative transports the classical arts out of the concert halls and opera houses and into our communities to enrich our everyday lives. To learn more about this program and view more events, visit www.randomactsofculture.org. The Opera Company thanks Macy's and the Friends of the Wanamaker Organ (www.wanamakerorgan.com) for their partnership, as well as Organ Music Director Peter Conte and Fred Haas, accompanists; OCP Chorus Master Elizabeth Braden, conductor; and Sound Engineer James R. Stemke. For a complete list of participating choirs and more information, visit www.operaphila.org/RAC. This event was planned to coincide with the first day of National Opera Week.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  8. Kelly G

Here is another version of the Hallelujah Chorus that I LOVE! I love the spirit in which it is presented - and I love that young people are having fun with something other than a cell phone/computer/game/etc.

Enjoy! It's great!!!!

ETA: and in the same spirit as the Hallelujah Chorus - here is what went on in Antwerp, Belgium last March...don't miss this one - it's great, too. Do Re Mi!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  9. Nana2KJS

Nana2KJS Chicks-n-Ahs

Mar 21, 2009
    SE Kansas
    Quote:Music - ya gotta love it!!!!!

10. Kelly G

Quote:Music - ya gotta love it!!!!!

It's great, isn't it!!! Thanks for posting this - I just forwarded it to friends/family - they'll love it, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by