1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mad and Mad What Would YOU Ask For Any Laying Age Bird?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dieselgrl48, Sep 23, 2010.

1. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Well Im totaly tired and Aggravated! I spent most of day trying to refresh the coop's and totaly cleaned horse stall out where I house my duck's and a few chicken's including the 2 broody hen's.The call's are already coming in about the bird's for sale.How much would You guys charge for new hens laying(standard's).I had 11 adult duck's for sale 4 hen's the rest drake's.I don't even want to get into some of the phone conv. about my bantam's.I asked one lady $25-$30 for 4 golden sebright hen's and 2 roo's lala and these hen's are Laying!.Then the guy call's back about the layer hen's After DH like DODO say's he take $6 each for his laying hen's and offer's him $5 each for his Pekin duck's. An yea they alllll laying too.
    What ever Im standing firm on my bantam's DH bought the ducks and those layer's But Guess who brooded them and loved them and yes every layer hen got an ever loving last rub tonight before that theif makes off with them in the morn. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Take a # I will donate my bird's to some nice FFA kid's or 4 H kid's this time before I give these ever loving something for nothing BLEEP BLEEP's again!

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I just sold 10 point of lay pullets (lf) for $8.00 each. Gave them 3 Roosters free.

3. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Sorry to hear of your hassles.

I get a minimum $14 per POL pullets - that's a starting price for common breeds. Rarer breeds can bring $20-25 each.
    I sell 2 yr+ layers for $6-8.
    Started pullets, 8 weeks old, $8.00 each

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I sold a breeding pair of SQ partridge cochins (large fowl) for $20.
    I've seen some on CL for $7 each and those were just run-of-the-mill ISA browns.

He'll either pay it or he won't. My birds never last longer than a few days as soon as I advertise. Someone else will.

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I buy / sell laying hens $10 - $15 each depending on breed and quality.

I buy / sell POL pullets around 4 months old for $ 8 - $ 12

I buy / sell young pullets around 2 months for $5 - $8

I buy / sell chicks for $2 - $5

The only exception to this was my French Black Copper Marans . . . . I paid $7 - $12 each for chicks / young pullets.

Don't get MAD - - - Just say "no". . . . Somebody will come along who is willing to pay more for a HEALTHY bird.

6. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

sorry,

I sell chicks at $2 bucks,,, and i mean chicks, not juvies.

I sell regular chickens and roosters for $15, an the larger heavyer birds go for $20-$50 depending on breed, age, eggs, ect. Right now I have nothing left. All my birds are my breeding stock, or Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I have bought rare breed POL pullets for $20-25.00.

8. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Laying hens here in Mobile sell for $10-$12 whether they are mixed or purebred. Once in a while I see them for a bit less, but I figure those are probably older birds or questionnable sellers.

9. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    I paid 15 a piece for my POL hens, one had an accident and killed herself on a nail, so I bucked up another 15 for another EE but did get a crook beak EE for free.
    I am in WI.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Your main problem is with your DH and not having set the price before you advertised. IMO, remove the ads and simply explain to anyone who calls that your birds are no longer available. Then set down with DH and agree upon pricing. Which of course means you need to evaluate the quality of your birds. Are they hatchery birds or show birds. Assuming that they are hatchery, you consider their egg laying ability and the local market in setting the price. If htey are exhibition birds, you consider how they fare against the standard, and price accordingly. Some breeds tend to be more expensive than others. If you have upcoming shows in your area, consider selling them there rather than through a newspaper or craigslist ad.

Exhibition birds tend to be priced similarly across the country (within breed/variety), although some specific well-known breeders bring in higher prices than ones who are less well known. Layer prices tend to vary drastically from one part of the country to another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by