Mad and Sad I lost 24 hens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RHewitt, Jan 26, 2010.

1. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

I went outside last night to gather eggs and check in on my flock and noticed dog tracks as I approached my fenced in run area. I thought to myself it looks like a dog has been snooping around. When I shinned my flashlight across my run I could see feathers everywhere and dead hens laying all around. I lost it and cussed a little. This happened to me before I built my run when I used to free range about 18 mths ago and I just got my flock back up to size. I was getting 18 eggs a day on average. All of these hens I hatched and raiseded up myself and you all know the time and effort it takes to get them to the age when they begin to repay us with eggs. After investigating I determined the dog or dogs dug in under the gate. All the rain we have had made the ground that is normally hard as rock soft enough for them to dig in. These dogs must be a wild or stray pack that came through because my neighbors dogs are all kept in fences. About 4 or 5 of the hens where eaten and the other just killed or mauled and left to die. My Rooster and another BA hen survived but both have gapping wounds on their backs. I had a trio in a sperate breeding pen that survived and my two Pekings must have stayed in my small pond to escape the carnage. I thought I had built a safe place and keep traps set for unwanted predators. Stray and Wild Dogs have taken 4 times more birds from me than all other predators combined over the years. My war against them has just begun. Thanks for letting me vent!

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry! I hope you find the dog and get rid of it before it can do carnage again!

3. Blueggchick

Blueggchick ♥Dar's Blue Bayou Chicks♥

Apr 18, 2009
    SE LA
    How horrible!!! Very sorry to hear this.

4. bubblebean11

bubblebean11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    20 min N of Denver
    Im really sorry...
    I put flagstone outside my gates to keep anything from getting in. Hope maybe it will help. Hugs for you and your birds. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG]

Horrible. I am so sorry.

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I just hate to hear this type of thing because (1) I would feel the same and don't want to go there and (2) I know it can happen to most of us at any time. So sorry to hear you got almost wiped out for the second time....

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    sooo sooo sorry.

8. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    They will probably be back to feed. They would find me in wait.

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I just don't know what I would if that ever happened to me. I HATE dogs. If they are loose on my place they will be shot. I don't even have one of my own. So sorry and I hope you can get them.

10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    OMG, I would be so furious. I am so sorry for all your losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by