Mad at TSC

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bluerosesd, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Bluerosesd

Bluerosesd Chirping

Feb 20, 2018
    South eastern Ky
    ok so I am getting 12 chicks. Was gonna get three black austrolorp chicks at TSC and get three SLW tomorrow from a local feed store. Then six EE the 28 from the same feed store. I had the guy get three and was like that’s it. He said it is Ky state law I have to buy six at a time. I am sure I seen people get less than six before ( yes I have been to TSC getting chick fixes till I could get the rest ). So I called the feed store and he said get how many I wanted! So now I am not getting the BAL. This makes me sad and mad. My house is only large enough for the 12 I wanted a small variety in my ladies but I quest I’ll have 6 and 6.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I'm not sure about your state laws, but I know for a fact that in NY you have to purchase a minimum of 6 chicks or ducklings. All of our feed stores and most breeders near me follow this law.

3. TomZilla43

TomZilla43 Songster

Apr 23, 2017
    White House, TN
    Bummer, I went to TSC in Franklin Ky and was told the same thing in regards to minimum number of chicks you can purchase at one time. Austrolorps are really cool chickens(my best layer is one). Makes it tough on backyard chickeneers to negotiate what you can buy vs what you can reasonably have:hmm.

4. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I know that down here in Texas the minimum here at TSC is 6 chicks, 2 ducks. Lots of hatcheries and feed stores have those rules.

5. ColoradoSLV

ColoradoSLV Chirping

Jul 1, 2016
    When I worked for TSC in Colorado, we had the same minimum purchases to preclude the customer from buying just one bird or two to help make sure they weren't being bought as just brief entertainment.

I did have one customer who'd purchased six chicks the week before, and when they came back in for three additional, I opted to let them get less than the minimum.

But - it does come down to the integrity of the seller...and the buyer!

6. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    The 6 chick, 2 duckling rule is the same where I am in WY.

@Bluerosesd maybe you can find a local person to get your BA's from.

7. Jenna1414chickens

Jenna1414chickens Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Sorry :( here we also have a law that you have to get a mim. of 6 chicks and a mim. Of 2 ducks at TSC and rural King, and most hatcheries around here have a mim. Of 25 but I think Meyer Hatchery you can get any amount you would like, whether it's just a couple, or a couple hundred. Maybe check them out?

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2...or purchase the 6 and you are covered for potential missexings, lost chicks, etc. You can sell extras later. Or go in on a purchase with someone else who also wants less than six. The minimums are in place in many states or as company policy for many retsilers.

9. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Yup, state law most places. We do have a local large 'green house/farmers market' run by one family, they sell fowl, chicks. I've bought just a couple ducklings or chicks a few times there, just tell them had only one hatch and it's lonely, so they've done it.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  10. feedman77

feedman77 Crowing

Jun 10, 2013
    Here in mo. It must be just store rules. Tsc must buy 6.

But other stores are buy what you want.
    I think most hatcheries have minimums so chicks have enough heat for shipping. Not sure though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: