Mad Duck Mama!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by runningamuck, Jul 29, 2014.

1. runningamuck

runningamuck In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Southeast Kansas
    I am completely new to owning ducks. Over a month ago, I ordered three ducks. One was always lethargic and just laid around. He has since passed, and we chalked it up to him being unhealthy. We let our other two ducks out in an open run during the day. I fed and watered at around 5:30. At around 7:30, we went back out to check on them and found a feather and blood trail leading to the road. It was the middle of the day, so all we can think is that is was a neighbors dog (the trail led straight to their house.) We drove the road in front of their house, but could see nothing. However we then spotted our white Pekin running through a pasture near said neighbors house. We were able to catch him and bring him home. I am severely hacked off that the dog came on to my property and he won't leave next time without a bullet in him. Nor will my duck go outside without a predator proof run!

So, my question is, do I need to get another duck or we he be ok alone? Can I get chicks or do I need another grown duck?

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am sorry about your duck. He would do better with another duck or two. You get babies but you would have to wait to put them together until the babies were big.

3. runningamuck

runningamuck In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Southeast Kansas
    Ok, thanks for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: