1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mad LOVE for bantum Cochins!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bea Love, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Bea Love

Bea Love Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Yesterday I was introduced to the cochin for the first time, and I totally fell in love! I was there to get some silkies, and ended up with 2 4 week old blue banty cochins!!! I also got 2 splash silkies also 4 weeks old.
    But to my suprise it is the little cochins that have me totally wraped around their little toe!!!
    Had to share my love for these little darling "dust mops"!! [​IMG]

2. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I dont have bantam size, I have a standard but I share the same love!!! Big ol' ball of fluffys!!! LOVE THEM!!

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I just recently got a blue Cochin pullet along with a few other colors and this blue one, though only 3 weeks old, is to die for! She is so gorgeous! [​IMG]
    I just know to take plenty of photos of her at this age because once she gets up into the 2 month and then the 6 month age she will not look as adoring. Those ugly stages can really get you down![​IMG]
    But for now, she is one humdinger of a girl. The others are just okay!
    Oh, I have Cochins in standard and bantam. About 22, I think.[​IMG]

4. karenleigh

karenleigh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    Hickory, NC
    Quote:Do you have a preference between your standards and bantams?

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Not really.
    I like the standards because they are such large balls of fluff and they lay okay. They are very sweet and get along with all other breeds.
    I like the bantams because they lay okay, go broody well and are cute little balls of fluff who seem to get so much dirtier than the standards. They seem to be a bit feistier, too.

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    We love our cochins, too! :) They are by far my kids favorite chickens!

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I went looking for a silkie this past weekend. I had 1 cochin bantam and loved him. The only silkies I could find were white and I'm not a fan of white (I wanted buff, black, or blue). I did find 7 cochin bantam hens and a roo that were already together and laying so I bought them. They are Gold Laced Bantam. I also bought 2 Standard Black Cochin chicks. So, I guess you can say I am mad for Cochin esp. since I now have more Cochin than anything else.

8. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    this may sound stupid....but how do you know if it is standard or bantum. We have a muttly crew of exotics and I have 3 cochins (I think...this is all guessing on my part) One I know is a Rooster hes my favorite, and his little twin (female) is sooooo cute fuzzy and her face is so stunning. They are 3 months old...how do I know if I have standard or bantum?

9. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    How old are they?

Full grown bantams are about the size of a basketball (including fluff, not so fluffy or hatchery ones appear smaller). Standard bantam chicks don't seem to feather out as quickly as bantams, in my experience.

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Quote:Yep, my standard chicks look kinda bald right now but I know they don't have mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by