Mad Mad Broodies!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BooBear, Oct 18, 2011.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Yep, got more broodies Again. [​IMG]
    The girls are not just satisfied with keeping the eggs warm....nope, they steal each others nest spot if the others nest looks nicer, steal nest material by stretching their necks to pluck the stuff from the closest nest, and the stinkers keep stealing eggs from each other!

Blueberry (Cucko Silkie) started the broody parade this time. I gave her 2 eggs to appease her mommy urge. Rita (black Silkie) decided to join her a week later and helped herself to Blueberry's eggs by scooting the eggs under her.
    During the 2nd week Boobear ( black frizzle cochin bantam also went broody. She wanted a nest in the boxes on the wall. I gave her 3 marked eggs. Not even through the week a certain blue Wyandotte got the bug! Yep Fifi squeezed her big fluffy but right ontop of Boobear to take over the nest. Poor Boobear looked sad after being muscled away from her comfy nest.

So I grabbed Fifi and gave her 6 marked eggs of her own which allowed Boobear to get her eggs n nest back.
    Everyone appeared somewhat content (Blueberry & Rita where stealing the 1st 2 eggs from each other in the catbox nest).

During my daily routine of picking up the un marked eggs I noticed Fifi stealing nest material when Boobear had her eyes closed. When Boobear woke she would reach back to Fifi who was next door to steal back the nest material and some. Boobear has the nicest nest of all the girls. She had built it up around herself in a perfect circle with high sides. Fifi has noticed this and would continue to try to steal Boobears nest even though Fifi had the most eggs!

During all of this some nice looking eggs arrived in the mail. It just so happened that the 1st eggs turned out to be quitters so the new eggs got passed to the broodies. Fifi wanted nothing to do with the new eggs so Boobear got em as Bluberry took the eggs that were under Boobear. Fifi decided to take a break completely from her eggs which I put under Blueberry as Rita also gave up on brooding. Now Boobear & Blueberry have 3 sets due to hatch at different times......but!,, low n behold ,2 days later Fifi is back trying to be all broody!! Oh and did I mention they are still stealing each others eggs and nests?!

I think it will be a miracle if the chicks make it do to the craziness going on. One thing for sure is the chicks are gonna hatch out confused from all the swapping.

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The chicks will be so confused on who their real mom is after they hatch.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    That is too funny! [​IMG] At least to me, who is not having to deal with madness, it's funny. [​IMG] Please post pics after hatching so we can see what ends up with whom.

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Sure thing. [​IMG]
    The eggs from my flock are barnyard specials as the daddy could be either Lester (blue black Wyandotte), Cinnimon (partridge Silkie), Peaches (buff Silkie with a really huge single comb), Cotton (wheaten Ameraucana), or Lester's son (black Wyandotte).

I am really hoping for the shipped eggs to hatch for some coronation sussex girls.

5. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    lol! Maybe all the hens will raise the chicks together. Then, your chicks will have plenty of motherly attention.

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I hope so. The chicks would also have more protection that way too.
    This particular group is being awefully silly about it though. [​IMG]

7. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    They sound like my kids fighting over toys at christmas. One kid gets a present, the other wants it and they do a swap but then the original gift now looks better so they need it back and the swapping and fighting continues

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    poor chickies will end on on the Maury Povich show waiting for DNA results to pin down their "real" parents

PS too bad you don't have all the egg swapping and nest stealing on video - it would go viral in minutes

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Yeah, they never do it when I have a camera either. [​IMG]
    Well I checked on the girls when I got home, Fifi is sitting in the wall nest box still acting like she wants to be broody; however, she had her chance so I just grabbed the daily eggs from under her. Fifi huffed at me then hopped out of the box.

Blueberry and Boobear were sitting tight in their nests with only their marked eggs. I did notice that Blueberry moved her nest further away from Boobear. Blueberry has 2 eggs were as Boobear has the rest (8 shipped eggs & 6 flock eggs). I think things are finally settling with them or they just looked calm at the end of the day. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by