mad mad mad

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chixie, Feb 14, 2011.

1. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    a little history.. my sister was involved in a major car accident last oct. a drunk driver hit the car she was riding in head on and killed 2 of my sisters coworkers and critically injured my sister andher other coworker(broke her back)... he pled quilty to 2 manslaughter charges he is not gonna be charged for the other two being injured. My sister and the other girl has to fill out inpact statements which probably will not be read to the judge. my sister still can barely walk. she can go back to work next month on a trial bases. the other girl cannot go back to work for atleast a year. my sisters son is getting married this summer she probably wont be able to dance with her son at his wedding. I think he should be charged with something for the two survivors... I guess we should be thankful he is still in jail and isnt getting out and the judge wouldnt let him out on bond.

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    That is so unfair. I am so sorry this has happened to your family and the other girls family for thier loss. You are all in my prayers. Sorry I don't know what to say. Sending lots of prayers and [​IMG]

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    OMG! Your poor sister! THat is so unfair! Unfortunatly, that's also far too common. THe drunk that hit me didn't even go to jail. I will never fully recover, but at least I'm functional.
    My heart breaks over the fact that she may not be able to dance with her own son. That's just a wicked torture for her.
    I am so very sorry.

[​IMG] to you and her and her son - the whole family.....

what a shame [​IMG]

4. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    thanks. I am assuming he must have made a plea deal

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    See here is the issue.

Everybody wants to preserve their own rights. And we should fight for our rights. But, we should not have the right to endanger other people's lives and alter them irrevocably. Yet people still don't get where that line falls.

I know waaaaay too many people whose lives were destroyed due to other people's decisions. Drunk driving, refusing to buy safety equipment, etc etc

I am very sorry for your sister and her co-workers.

6. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] Thats awful, he should be made to face trial for all the victims. So sorry for your sister and her friend and my heart goes out to her co-workers families. Such a terrible waste because of some irresponsible idiots decision to drink and drive [​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    It seems to me that the victim impact statements should be made available to the judge, even if there is a plea agreement. The judge has to sign off on it, and if he feels the consequence is inappropriate, then can toss the whole thing.

I would ask how much time he will be required to serve, and whether the charges can later be filed. Yes, the incident is a repeat, but not that charge.

8. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Sorry about your sister and her co workers...

Can they not sue the guy... like OJ was sued after the fact... sorry can't remember what kind of case that is.. but at least to cover some of their medical costs etc..

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Take it to a news station so they can call the prosecuting attorney out on it.

At the very least, the survivors should sue immediately so that they have every benefit available to deal with their life-long medical needs. Particularly if they won't be able to work. In most states, the insurance company of the victim must pay for the initial civil lawsuit and then ask for their legal costs to be covered by the insurance company of the other guy. It's often not offered by the victim's insurance company, so I suggest you help her explore what rights she has that she may not know about.

10. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree 100% he should be charged for ALL his crimes, not just a portion of them.

The DA is basically saying that your sister's injuries are nothing, don't matter, and are perfectly acceptable behavior.
    Only actually killing someone is worth punishing. I'd be so far being peeved.

As others said, MAKE A STINK. Is your DA elected or do the higher ups just hand them the job??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by