Mad Muskovy

daubernut

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
I have a pair of Muskovy. The male is very large & friendly. The female is smaller and currently setting on about a dozen eggs. I don't know exactly how many cause I can't get within five feet of them without her trying to remove my own feet. Is this normal?? They are currently living with about 35 layer chickens. Her nest is beneath the nest boxes of the chickens on the floor of the coop (which is raised off of the ground). Will the chickens leave the ducklings alone or will mother take care of any aggressive chickens. I figure about just over another three weeks before they hatch. Other than the sudden foot fetish I really enjoy having the ducks around. I believe everyone should have at least six chickens no matter where they live.

I have muscovys as well. Mine free roam, and the hen is currently setting 21 eggs. She has a large crate next to the house, with straw, and feed and water close by. When the other muscovy's get near the coop when the chickens are out, my chickens attack relentlessly. I would fear for the safety of the new baby ducks. Any way to fence her off from them? Even a temporary fence, when they start to hatch? Maybe after hatch, you can get her into a nice crate somewhere away from the hens. Hope all goes well. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom