Mad Rooster HELP!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by de88ie, Oct 12, 2011.

1. de88ie

de88ie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    We went on vacation and my MIL watched the chickens for us. Seems she brought in a rake to keep the main rooster away from her. We had never had any issues as I could even pick him up and hold him for a while.

Now he is MAD! [​IMG]
    I can not even walk in there with out him trying to bite me. I gave him grass, bananas and scratch to keep him busy but it doesn't matter. I thought about trying to pick him up but I want to wait a while. My husband doesn't have any issues with him. HELP!

What should I do to calm him down????

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems that your roo has taken a disliking to women probably brought on by your MIL and the rake. This is a very common occurance when someone watches your birds other than who they are used to. Have no fear. You must reestablish your dominance over him. Pick him up and hold him in one arm like you would cradle a football. With your free hand, take ahold of his comb and pull his head down until his beak touches his chest. You are not hurting him other than his pride. Carry him around with you like this and talk softly to him. Every so often release your hold on his comb. If he lifts his head up or struggles then gentle grab his comb again and lower his head back down. Continue to do this until he holds his head down after you release his comb. He should not pick his head up until you actually pick it up for him or you set him down. Sometimes this takes just a few minutes or it might take a couple of sessions over a couple of days depending on how stubborn he wants to be. It works on all our roosters and I have actually seen a poultry judge do this with a fighting cock and within 10 minutes she could handle him like a pet.

3. de88ie

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    Oh my! At this point that would freak me out but I think I can do it. Thanks!!

4. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    welcome to the world of mean rooster [​IMG]

ThePamperedPullet
    I will try it with my boys.

5. de88ie

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    UPDATE on MAD CHICKEN [​IMG]

He is fine![​IMG]

After about 2 weeks of showing him I was the nice one and feeding him treats and holding him he got back to him old self. I think next time we will have someone else watch the hen house!
    Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  6. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Next time you go on vacation take him with you!! [​IMG]

7. de88ie

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    Trust me I just might do that!! [​IMG]

8. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Maybe you could just tell your MIL the rake is unecessary, or does she have a fear of roosters?

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Another reason to dislike MIL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by