Madagascar Games.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ravencreek, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    I have an oportunity to get some Madagascar Game chicks from a friend of my fathers. These chicks haven't hatched yet but I was wondering if anyone on here has any or has any idea what they are like. These will be kept separate from ALL other fowl because he will only give them to me if I keep the breed pure. No crossbreeding with other chickies. But before I jump in and get them I would like more personal opinions about them. Are they a flighty breed? Aggressive? I have read up about them online but there REALLY isn't that much info to be found. I had never heard of them until now. ANY info will be useful. Thanks guys.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Very rare Rav. I`ve admired the breed for years. If you have a chance to get some real ones, do it. Some unscrupulous types are breeding naked neck fowl with Shamo and calling them MG`s. Basically, I think they are tempered much like any oriental fowl, ie very man friendly and easy to handle, but also very aggressive to other fowl. Google SPPA (Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities) and get in touch with the secretary/treasurer, Chuck Everrett. He has some and will be glad to shed more light on them.

3. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    Well he has been raising these types of chickens for a good long time. The parent flock has naked necks and when I saw them I thought at first they were turkens. But noticed that they were taller standing(if that makes sense) and slimmer. My turkens are normal and plump bodied. After he explained that they weren't turkens I was very interested. He only raises 3 breeds of chicken, the Mads, Silkies, and the cute curly feathered kind. He also does not cross any of them because he is a self proclaimed "purist" and thus he doesn't sell or give his birds away because he thinks that people want to cross breed EVERYTHING to make "new" breeds. He is a very strange man. All that useless info aside I talked him into giving me some of the chicks. He usually removes all eggs so that his flock will remain managable but he agreed to leave one nest alone and let the hen hatch them just for me. So in 21ish days I will have my very own Mads. Hopefully. So will it be safe for the rest of my flock to bring this type of bird to my farm? They will be kept separate but only chicken wire will be between them. Is that safe enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by