Madder than a wet hen

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NickyPick, Apr 17, 2012.

1. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Any idea where that saying came from? I'm curious because I've been watching my hens out in the rain, and they don't seem to be very angry about it. [​IMG]

2. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Had a quick look on the internet and came across this:

'"Madder than a wet hen" probably originated in the Southern Appalachian Mountains. Supposedly, chickens get angry if they get dumped in water'

I'd be angry too if I was "dumped" in water! One of my chickens doesn't mind the rain (in fact I wrote about this on my blog only today), but most of them prefer to take shelter.

3. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    Most of my hens are fine in rain, except one. She gets really loud and pecks all the others. The saying could've come from hens like her.

4. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    my chickens love the rain. they come outside to bathe like any other bird in the rain. now snow is a different story....they hate that stuff!

5. HCFarms96

HCFarms96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    My chickens love the rain when I'm not outside. But, when I go out to get the eggs, they all pile into the coop {all are wetter than the ocean, mind}, sit on the roost like they've been crowded in there all day, and whine at me like it's my fault. [​IMG] When I leave, they go back outside and resume packing, happy as larks.

6. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    too cute! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes, the saying goes "Madder than a setting hen", which makes a ton more sense, if you've ever had a broody!

8. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Madder than a chicken keeper then!

I don't know the saying, We say 'Madder than a March hare' but I think that means crazy mad rather than angry mad. Another one from England is 'As useless as a chocolate fire guard'. That one I can understand.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN

That makes a lot more sense. I have three broody ameraucanas that are HATEFUL and I have the bruises to prove it. Mean old biddies. [​IMG]

10. NickyPick

NickyPick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    Yeah, that does make a lot more sense. I had my first broody experience a couple weeks ago. Luckily, it wasn't the Q.B. of the flock, so her attempts to peck me were laughable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by