Made a boo boo today. Game hen nest.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Debbiesflocks, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    So about a year ago a little game hen showed up one day. She has been setting on a batch off eggs. Today i went out to see how she was and she came off the nest like a crazy little game hen and flogged me good. she has 4 chicks that scattered and 4 eggs still not hatched.. I was able to round the chicks up and give them back to psycho hen. But she took the chicks and left the nest. I fired up the brensia and put the 4 other eggs in the incubator. Do you think she will take these 4 chicks when they hatch or am i going to be raising them.

2. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    So i let her calm down for a few hours. I went out to give her some chick starter and she has 6 nice fat black chicks. I think the father to these are my Black copper marans rooster. I guess i should say i know he is the father to these chicks. I have one more chick in the incubator and 3 eggs rocking and rolling. I will try to give the chicks back to her tomorrow.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Those Marans get around, my Shamo just hatched 2 chicks, both have fuzzy legs!
    If you do try to give her back the chicks, do it at night when she is calmer.
    Good luck!

4. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chirping

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    Mother hen ended up with a total of 9 chicks. She set on a total of 12 eggs, 2 eggs were clear and one piped and died in the shell. She is being a great and Very protective mother. I might need to put up a caution sign, Beware flogging hen on property.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by