Made a killing cone yesterday and did my 2nd-ever butcher today

kathleengp

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Just had to share - lol!

Last time (my first time) I did not have a cone and tried taking the head off with shears......not recommended
hmm.png

This time I had this great cone and I slit the neck on both sides. SO MUCH EASIER and cleaner, and quieter. Still took me over an hour from start to complete cleanup but I'll get faster I'm sure.

I got this 18 inch cone from the hardware store, cut off some of the top, drilled holes in and ran leftover haybale twine to make it hangable. Then drilled 2 holes for a bungee cord to be attached that I ran tightly around the rooster's legs to further stabilize. Super easy to make and it worked great :)

I hung it on a post outside when I used it this morning. It was so stable and held the roo so nicely. Here's my cone all cleaned up and ready for next time:

40667_killing_cone.jpg

Kathleen, that looks great! I really want to try processing myself, but my husband keeps telling me that he had to do that as a kid and he hated it. How was your experience? Do you pluck or skin, and do you use special knives or anything?

I am going to do it one day, and I want to be prepared......I guess I need a processing station all set up......I've read alot, and I think I can handle it. Except when you have to get the guts out......Is that totally gross and putrid smelling? (I do gag at smells)

Sharon

No Chicmom - it's not gross and putrid smelling. My first one had a bit of fecal matter escape during the gutting - that was kind of gross. This one - nothing. Very fresh smelling - lol. Make sure you take away food for long enough. This guy was caught at bedtime Tuesday night and on water only since then till he was butchered first thing Thursday morning.

I didn't get special equipment other than to buy myself a new very sharp knife. I killed outside and the plopped him into one of the horse buckets to transport into the house without dribbling (learned that after last time - lol). Then scalded in my water bath canner pot which was already hot and ready.

Last time I plucked in the garage - that was dumb. This time I plucked right in my kitchen into the garbage and that let me rest him in my clean kitchen sink while I worked and gave me water right there to rinse. I put a cutting board on the counter right by the sink and pulled the guts out into the sink then cut into pieces on the cutting board. Kitchen clean-up was no worse than regular cooking.

And yes, EEMotherhen - it was cheap - the cone was $9 and the haybale twine and bungee cord were just stuff around the house. I cannot believe how well it worked. Supported and contained the roo completely hands-free for me. And I did not have to talk hubby into building some kind of elaborate stand. He has such a large honey-do list right now it would have been a very long time before that got to the top of the list!

Last edited:
Great! We did a few in the fall and used the chopping method! Ugggg very traumatizing! Next time a cone for sure! And hello neighbor! I'm in liverpool and a homeschooling Mama too
smile.png

Codymax - Hi back at ya neighbor!! Homeschoolers, survived our last Upstate NY winter, AND chickens - we have a lot in common - lol!

It is funny on here how many things just seem to go together
smile.png
Kinda scared about this year and upcoming school year!! 1st grade and baby due in Dec! Any words of encouragement? I'll have a 6year old, 3,1, and newborn!!! AHHHH
Quote:

Great idea...I used a milk jug which was perfect because we recycle--just cut off the bottom and enough of the top to get their head through!

Back
Top Bottom