1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Made a little egg dispenser

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by thebulg, Aug 31, 2015.

1. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    That's the best way I can think of describing it! It was really easy- took me 20 minutes. If you have a semi handy person in your house, super simple. Takes a bit of time to dry and paint, but that would all be based on the maker ;) I am sure this type of thing has been made time and again, but what is the Internet for if not repetition?!

The 2 ramp pieces were cut from 1/4 inch plywood. They are 14.5" long, 3" tall at the top end of the ramp, 1.5" at the lowest part of the dip. I made one and traced it on to the plywood to make the other.

The middle piece is a 12" 2x2. That's it. No fancy instructions haha

Sand everything to make rounded edges everywhere that will come in contact with the egg.

I screwed mine together because I'm impatient. If you glued and clamped it would be just as effective and you'd have 2 pretty sides. I left the front of the ramp open so I could grab eggs from under/over or from the sides.

Stain or paint, but either way make sure you seal it really well. You could caulk the part where the ramp wall meets the 2x2. Just in case of emergency :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I like it! simple to make, elegant and practical! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I like it, good job! I like your lettering on the side too. Thanks for sharing your idea. [​IMG]

4. chickadoodles

chickadoodles Overrun With Chickens

Feb 28, 2013
    South West Alabama
    Your egg dis-spencer is very cute

5. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    So far it holds about 8-10 eggs depending on the size of the eggs :) it looks really great on the counter too!thanks for the positive feedback!

6. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Very nice! I just showed your design to my hubby and I think I am going to get one made for me! Thank you for posting this.

7. Copper Creek

Copper Creek Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2015
    Very nice. Great design, too

8. thebulg

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    It's still working great, and it holds 9 eggs at a time :) i'm so glad someone else could use it!

9. tiffanyblitz

tiffanyblitz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Terrific! I have been looking at those (crazy expensive) "egg skelters" longingly - this looks so nice, AND inexpensive. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  10. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    this the best post all day, to make me want to build, and make me think.

It wants to be a non-functioning slingshot to me, like elastic looking sides, and slingshot at one end, but it doesn't work, it just hold eggs, but it catches the mind of people who see it. If someone with a gun breaks in trying to rob you, I want them to be discussing your chickens and sipping coffee 15 minutes after they see your egg holder.

Like the fish-tank from old blender, it annoys your mind until you can't think of something else.

[​IMG]

now I want to go make some woodwork because of your post !!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by