Made a Nipple Waterer with a 5 Gallon Pale But.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by carlf, Jul 7, 2016.

1. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    So I made a waterer with a 5 gallon pail and 4 water nipples in the bottom. Hung it in the run.
    I also have 2 1-gallon gravity waterers out there.
    So far, chickens have not caught on to fact that water comes out the nipples, haven't even seen one peck at them even when standing under it.
    Any thoughts on how long it will take for them to catch on? Its been in the run for 1 week.
    BTW, I can't remove the 2 1-glln waterers from the run, its too hot to take a chance on them not having any water if they don't catch on to the nipples..
    Thanks!

2. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes you can, and it's the only way you'll get everyone using the nipple waterers.

Chickens will always default to the easiest way to get food and water. If you want them to use the nipples, teach them to do so and keep an eye out to make sure they do. But I assure you, they will.

We just took in two idiots cockerals this afternoon. I took their heads, showed them how pecking the nipples produced water, and they reproduced it without my help 30 seconds later. It was 105 degrees out, so not much of an option for an animal that needs water to survive.

They'll learn, and quicker than you think. We stressed about it at first also, but have never lost a single bird from not learning how to use a watering nipple.

Good luck.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I agree with azjustin but when it's hot I provide additional water sources to nipples as I find that chickens that have not been raised using them don't have the best technique.

Ct

4. 6Micks

6Micks New Egg

Jul 1, 2015
    I have been wanting to build a nipple waterer. Question for those who have one. How do you keep the water from going 'sour'? I have a gravity waterer hanging in the run we re-fill every day. We have to wipe the bottom out each day. It gets slimey and smells like a lake. Or does it even matter?

We are on well water by the way. No chlorine or additives.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

I never have an issue with water smelling or looking skanky. If it happens, you could put a tiny amount of bleach in the water.

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Acidified copper sulfate... you can find it at jefferspet.com...

7. carlf

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I have also heard apple cider vinager works to keep water fresh. About 1 tbsp per glln

8. alc245

alc245 Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate New York
    We have a 5 gallon bucket with 2 nipples in the run and another one in the coop. We change the water every few days and put apple cider vinegar in it as well. No issues so far!

9. thetmoo

thetmoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    They won't use the bucket as long as the gravity waterers are available. Let them run out of water in the gravity waterers and they will figure it out. They are messing with you. :)

10. carlf

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Thanks for the responses.
    When it cools off, I will remove the gravity waterers and see how it goes.
    But with highs close to 95* and heat indexes of over 100* every day for the next month, I will wait until it cools down a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by