Made a nipple waterer!

CandiceN

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
NH
It took 2 pitchers (Cracked the first one, oops! But we had 4 pitchers and never used more than 2 at once, so it's OK), but we made a nipple waterer this weekend. I saw my Little Red using it this morning, so I know they'll get the hang of it. It will be SO nice to not have to worry about them putting dirty stuff in the water anymore! I'd like to figure out a better way to hang it, so it's not at such an angle, but this works for now
smile.png
(fixed this problem!) I also added the cat food can you see in the picture to keep oyster shell in, per suggestion of someone else on BYC. Great idea!

UPDATED: I got it to hang level using a strategically placed metal hook. Pardon the chicken butt
lol.png

2011-08-01160609.jpg

Last edited:
Get another cat food bucket or any bucket and put the nipples in the bottom of it and then you can hang it by the handle or attach chain to the sides. That's what I did and it works great. Also with the bigger bucket I don't have to fill it as often.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I prefer to change the water daily, but perhaps in the future I'll upgrade to something larger
smile.png
I also like that I can see the water level very easily with the clear pitcher.

Last edited:
haha, I never thought of using the pitcher! I made the same thing with a 6" pvc tube that I have to fill with a pitcher in the winter. Guess I could've just left out the pvc and saved myself a step. great job
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Thanks! I used what we had laying around because I don't want to spend any more money and we already owned the pitchers
wink.png
Our chickens have cost us more than we planned already (I'm sure I'm not alone in that one!) so we're working with what we've got from now if we can help it! So for the cost of the nipples they got a new waterer and I don't have to clean poop and sand out of their watering tray twice a day anymore.
ya.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
They do seem to be dripping a bit. Nothing bad at all, but that's why I want to figure out a way to hang it straight
smile.png
I left the cement block we had under the old waterer there, to catch any drips while I figure out how to fix it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom