( Made in Mexico ) New to the chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jeeping31, Dec 21, 2011.

1. jeeping31

jeeping31 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    Hello to everyone I'm new to the backyard chickens and glad to see this forum. I in the middle of making my coop I hope to take photos and show step by step how I'm making my coop. I'm trying to use no money at all that's why I call my coop (Made in Mexico) because the wood from the crates that make up the coop is from Mexico. The size of the coop is 5 1/2 feet long and 7 foot wide and 6 foot tall the run is 7 x 16 feet long. I have small animal wire all the way around the run then larger square wire cover the top. I hope to post photo Friday of the coop I have a friend giving me lading egg chickens I think 4 to 5 chickens will do. Thank you all for all info on here!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. iBoodle

iBoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Idaho
    [​IMG]:yiipchick

Looking forward to the pictures!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] from Indiana! Looking forward to seeing your steps/coop [​IMG]

5. jeeping31

Dec 18, 2011
    Got a quick question my chicken lady wants to give me 8 chickens and I read that you need 4 Sq feet per chicken but is that inside the coop or outside the coop or 4 sq feet in total? Inside got 35 sq not counting the 6 foot height and out got 112 sq feet.
    [​IMG]

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

About 4 sq ft inside and about 8-10 outside per bird should be good. Its a rule of thumb and the happier the bird is a goal. I try to give at least 4-5 sq ft inside and 10+ outside. I have 7 chickens in a 4x8 breeding coop and they also have a 8x10 run. The weather is pretty nice here so they are outside most of the day unless its really cold and windy or raining. What kind of chickens are you getting?

Nate

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  7. jeeping31

Dec 18, 2011
    Nate I called to find out what kind of chicken they are but of right now I don't know I hope there some egg dropping fools!

8. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    What type of climate do you live in? hot or cold? If cold just keep the coop tight and not drafty. The coop doesn't need to be "warm" but just draft free with ventilation and bedding on the ground.

Nate.

9. jeeping31

Dec 18, 2011
    I live in lexington S.C. and I been on BYC reading alot of post from you all. I found so much info and wonderful photos too now just trying to get my up and going!

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Welcome, let's get you to the required TEN posts so you can share pics! Coop dimensions are so variable. If they only sleep in there at night, it's no big deal. If they have NO run at all, it's a huge deal. If they are in sometimes but have a tiny run, it's pretty important. Like mine, they only eat, nest and sleep in the coop, being all over the place right now in the day time, so it's not too big of a deal. Just remember bigger is better for most coops, so maybe like in Mexico you can add rooms on later? [​IMG] [​IMG] HenZ

edited for poor spelling and grammar!

ps: take photos as you go to share with us please. OH, and free hens sounds like a good deal.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by