made my chicks nicer to handle

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PipieTuke, Apr 19, 2017.

1. PipieTuke

PipieTuke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2016
    I got some bantam chicks from tractor supply and they were very tiny and scared. I gave them a brooder to live in and held them very often. I started using tuna as a treat for them. Its been 5 days and they love being held they jump in your hand when you put your hand close. If you want chickens to like you than you have to hold them constantly i held mine when i was doing homework or watching TV, i would hold them when walking around and whenever i went outside i took them out and eventually they started following me.

2. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    From my blue coop
    I have a Columbian Rock hen named Sophia who loves attention. She will hop on my lap and gets mad, making angry clucks, if you put her down. She is a bit aloof because she knows how much I like her and acts like she is above all the other hens. She is very funny to watch.

3. MageofMist

MageofMist Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2016
    Britain
    I pretty much hatched out my Silkies, which gave me the imprinting boost, while the mama hen did most of the incubation, I had to put the rest of the eggs in the incubator as two were having humidity issues and needed assistance hatching, all 5 chicks are healthy and are nearly a month old already!

I spoil my babies with mealworms and various greens from the garden, I also hold them on a daily basis and the brooder is practically sat right next to me, so they always know I am close by. When I open the brooder up and stick my hand in, they all rush to it or jump onto my arm, and if I leave the lid off, they'll jump out of the brooder onto my leg. [​IMG] The chicks also love to snuggle into my nightgown, it is like a mama hen's wings for them.

When I take the chicks out when the weather is nice, they tend to stick close to me like they would with their mother, and when I sneak off to do stuff around the yard when they are busy foraging, they all sprint to me when I return and sit back down, jumping and fluttering their wings for a speed boost! I also 'dustbathe' and sunbathe with them, which helps strengthen the bond you have with them as it is both a health activity and a social one.

It is adorable when something harmless like a butterfly or sparrow spooks them and they all rush to hop on or hide under me for safety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by