Made my roosters spurs bleed! They are still to long.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Aug 6, 2014.

1. I had my first attempt at trimming my roosters spurs the other day. The first one went well then on the second one I went a little to far and his spur started to bleed. It's all Ok now, but both his spurs are still quite long.
    Is their another way of shortening them without making them bleed or should just taking the tips off be enough for the hens?
    I only trimmed them for the ladies sake, he never attacks people.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Have you got pictures? and how long are they? you can slowly grind them back using a file or a pedi paws like device. Its usually not the length that's the major problem, its the sharpness of it/them. Also the back toe often plays a part in the ripping of flesh on hens when mating.

3. [​IMG]

This is then a few months ago so they are a big longer. The tips (like 1cm) is only of at the moment.

1 person likes this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Cut so they extend only about 2 cm from leg. The bleeding is minimal and will not pose a threat to the rooster.

5. rc4u

rc4u Songster

Feb 3, 2014
    i like removing the whole spur..not cutting it off but twisting and pulling the whole toe nail and underneath is the soft tissue part and it takes a while for the hard nail to grow back...lots of info in the search ..when you sut the nail if you go too far you cut that soft part underneath and thats the bleeding...jeff

6. ShaylaFox

ShaylaFox Chirping

Jul 5, 2014
    Arkansas
    Be carful not to cut the spurs to short, just like human nails it can hurt and bleed. Good Luck [​IMG]

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    From what I have seen the discomfort is not like we experience. I use hacksaw and more often than not some blood involved but clots quickly.

8. ShaylaFox

ShaylaFox Chirping

Jul 5, 2014
    Arkansas
    Really!! I have had to read about this kind of thing also. ALL of the things i have read said that hurts if your cut it to short. Because you are cutting the nerves and veins that run through the spur.

9. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
  10. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I have done it numerous times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: