Made some butter

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sparkles2307, Jul 21, 2010.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I was bored last night, so whilst I sliced tomatoes for BLT's I threw some heavy cream and sour cream into my magic bullet and let it work it's...well...magic, while supper cooked. Took between 6-10 minutes and I ended up with one lovely ball of butter which I seasoned with sea salt. I love how easy that stuff is.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Heavy cream AND sour cream? Just regular heavy cream from the store?

Why sour cream?

3. sparkles2307

Just buy the heavy whipping cream at the store if you dont have fresh cream available. You know when you take butter out of the fridge and its like, rock hard? If you have sour cream in it it keeps it more spreadable.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What a fabulous idea! Do you put the sour cream in right from the start, or wait until you have butter?

5. sparkles2307

I put it in right away. I dont have a mixer so I toss it all in the magic bullet. I have to shake it around a few times when the whipped cream gets really stiff, but you know when its about to "Break" and then after it breaks I shake it and let it go for a few more seconds to be sure that all the whipped cream breaks. You can use the butter milk like skim milk. I dont have cheesecloths so I squeeze it out in a flour sack towel and then rinse 3 or 4 times, kneading it, in cold water. you can add whatever herbs or seasonings you want to it after its rinsed, and then put it in the crock.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Get a butter bell and you won't need to add sour cream anymore. I love having nice, soft, real butter and homeade jam on my biscuits in the morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by